Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I am having a thought....................  (Read 8122 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: I am having a thought....................
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »
Mallow, I understand exactly where you are coming from. Lambed for the first time this year and trying really hard not to get too attached to the wethers ..... so tempting to keep 1 .... or 2 ...... or all of them.  ::)  I know all the logical arguments put forward on here but know I'll be in tears when they have to go.  :'( Going to do my best but if I can't do it then just won't breed in future and will keep them as lawnmowers. No shame in that .... not hurting anyone else. If you find it too difficult, could you just not breed in future and keep them as pets/mowers instead?

Newsheep

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 01:14:04 pm »
I agree with Yorkshire Lass, if we kept all the rare and primitive breeds as pets and lawnmowers the breeds would soon die out, I keep Boreray which are on the critical list and know that any wethers will have to go for meat as I can't afford to keep them all and we need to create a demand for rare breed lamb or mutton.

I know there is a young lad of 22 who keeps Hebridean Sheep and has made a good business in providing meat to the fancy resturants around his area.  That must be a good thing for the rare breeds.

However,  :-[  I do have to admit I have one wether who is not going anywhere as he is such a darling, he comes when I whistle and the others follow plus he is a companion for my tup.   :innocent:

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 03:53:33 pm »
Oh I am defo up for the Rare Breeds Breeding/|Meat thing to raise the profiles of the breed - that is why i want to switch to rare breeds. We have a butcher locally called the Thoroughly Wild Meat Co who only take on Shetland and Salt Marsh lambs but he doesn't take Shetlands after June.....Salt marsh lamb time then!
It's my commercial breed  and commerical x but oh so friendly orphan and non-orphan lambs that I need to sell (and one wether Shetland and poss an unregistered Shetland ewe lamb). They can't possibly go to market or a big farmer.
I guess all i can do is try advertising them and see what happens and go from there, maybe!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 03:59:53 pm »
Good luck with it all Mallows, but be very careful about selling sheep as pets. I do it but after careful vetting and always sell, never give!
Too many animals, esp farm animals end up in the wrong hands and fall on hard times  :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 04:03:37 pm »
I want them to go to other Smallholders only really. And definitely people who have sheep/already had them before.  I will be scrupulous with their homes and am going to start taking deposits now for the wethers for abattoir. And maybe keep a wether for my tup as company  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 06:23:08 pm »
Your  :thinking:  thoughts are crystalising  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 09:47:12 pm »
Oh No!!! A smallholder from Devon  has contacted me about 4 of my commercial lambs.... now its all getting far to real! I just love them too much! LOL. Cripes.... they have to go, Lis. THEY HAVE TO GO!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 10:23:07 am »
Hey Mallows!!!!

There is a lass in North Wootten who wants a few pet sheep to keep the grass down in her orchard!
She was told about mine but I aint selling, I'll see if I can get hold of her for you??
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 02:37:33 pm »
That would be  :thumbsup: BRILL Don...
I can deliver them to her if she likes. I have a list for sale on my webby-site
www.mallowsflock.weebly.com - she can look and see ehat she likes :o)
I can help her with any advice/contacts etc the whole way through her keeping them if she likes.

Newsheep

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 07:12:54 pm »
And maybe keep a wether for my tup as company  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My wether is invaluable for just that reason and he is so easy to handle he makes moving the flock so easy, well that is my excuse :innocent:    Hope you are able to choose which one of yours you will keep!

I have just purchased 5 gimmers who unfortunately are related very closely to my tup  :(  so I am going to have to part company with him next year - now that is going to hurt as I have had him from a couple of months old and he is a darling but that is the problem with keeping such a minority breed

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 09:47:52 pm »
What are yours newsheep?
I want to keep them all! haven't rang the guy back yet who wants them! He is is Devon... a few counties away! I will see if anyone more 'yokel' rings first. I would love them to go to somewhere where I can home-check!

Newsheep

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 06:05:12 pm »
Mine are Boreray which are very rare but growing in numbers.  I am trying to persuade a friend who keeps rare breeds that she too would like Boreray to add to her assortment, just so I could keep an eye on my tup for the same reason

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS