Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pietrain pigs?  (Read 13552 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Pietrain pigs?
« on: August 24, 2012, 04:08:09 pm »
I'm thinking of getting some pietrain or pietrain x weaners this time to see if they produce a leaner carcass. Has anyone had them before with good results?
Nothing against any other breeds, we've tried a few and like to get different ones each year. Seen some pietrain x large white advertised so might go take a look.
Any input appreciated  :thumbsup:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Pietrain pigs?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:09:03 pm »
Not kept them myself but did get half a pietrain off a friend in 2011 They said that they where only 6 months when they went to slaughter but the fat on them was crazy, there was at least 4 inches of fat on the meat and although I do like some fat it was too much for me
could have just been the way that they had been reared but its put us off keeping the breed
Graham

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:51:54 pm »
i had a post before but it would not spell check
pietrain are a lean pig with a huge bulbous arse on them    pure i have heard the fat can separate from the meat
sokel i doubt if it was the carcase that they said it was     even kunnies don't have that amount of fat       i have seen a pietrain x Duroc carcase and it was even leaner than the Hampshire :farmer:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:02:33 pm »
Hi Sbom,

We've just had 3 Pietrain x GOS and the meat from them was incredibly lean ... too lean for us and I think leaner than our customers would ideally have liked. Their was not enough fat to make good sausages, our butcher was less than impressed!

Personally, we won't be dong a Pietrain cross again.  ..... the taste seemed lacking too.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:38:28 pm »
Cheers guys, I will possibly be feeding them a little cows milk aswell which seems to put a  little to much fat on some breeds but I might get the perfect mix with a naturally leaner carcass  :thinking:
Are hampshires a leaner breed aswell? I've never seen any advertised around here.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:42:34 pm »
yes they are lean   there is pics on here of the back bacon  i have them but in Scotland  where are you not that there are many breeders :farmer:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 09:45:39 pm »
Fab I'll have a look see. I'm in the Midlands, Staffordshire.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »
Some friends had a Pietrain x litter out of their OSB sow.  They said it was the 'best' pork they'd produced; the butcher bought most of it off them and said he'd buy any amount more.

The previous litter was GOS x (same sow) -  :yum: :yum: :yum: :hungry:  But yes, a bit more fat (not excessive though) and quite a bit less ham, tenderloin, etc.

When you see Pietrains at the auction, they look to be all muscle, especially back-end.  Some say they are the Belgian Blue of the pig world - including dying of heart attacks due to the genetic mutation that causes the double-muscling in hind end, heart and (in the case of the Belgian Blue but I don't know about the pietrain) birth canal.

And before any Blue Cattle supporters jump on me, I hasten to add that British Blues have supposedly bred the double-muscled birth canal out of the breed, so do not have the difficult births associated with the original Belgian Blue.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:07:55 pm »
Thanks, all interesting stuff, will see what the ones I'm looking at tomorrow are like. There local and pretty cheap so we'll see. She has the parents aswell so looking forward to seeing them.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 09:46:31 am »
we've had pietrein cross in all our meat so far (dad large white mum pietreinx GOS) or other way round- can't remember
meat was fab
butcher has been well impressed
we have had them thro' winter  and summer months
no difference (except summer ones were ready earlier)
i think alot has to do with how much space they have and what they are being fed
we measured their food and lots apples/veg
Mx
butchers

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 10:29:04 am »
I've had Pietrain x Landrace in the past. Being used to Tamworths, they were too lean for my liking, but the abattoir was well-impressed with the carcasses! I kept them on a bit too long, so each chop nearly filled a dinner plate!

I'd say give the P x LW crosses a go, but if they're mixed sexes, get them away early because they do mature early. Good luck.
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 01:42:06 pm »
i had a post before but it would not spell check
pietrain are a lean pig with a huge bulbous arse on them    pure i have heard the fat can separate from the meat
sokel i doubt if it was the carcase that they said it was     even kunnies don't have that amount of fat       i have seen a pietrain x Duroc carcase and it was even leaner than the Hampshire :farmer:
Thanks for that, I had never seen the pigs alive so have no idea if they where Pietrains only going on what they said when they asked if we wanted half.
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS