Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Torduu Badgerface  (Read 3837 times)

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
Torduu Badgerface
« on: May 20, 2009, 06:46:34 pm »
Just been given a Torrduu badgerface ewe as a thank you for helping with lambing (300 lambs 3 deaths not bad). Anyone in Lincolnshire  with them am looking for a ram for next year.

Been on the badgerface site interesting but none in my area.

Also

Will have a ryeland ewe for sale in next few weeks 3 years old registered, £70

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
Re: Torduu Badgerface
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:17:20 am »
Hello Rosey

Congratulations, what a lovely thank you gift  :sheep:

I breed Torddu's, but a little too far away in Sussex. I could bubblewrap you a ram and send him 'royal mail'  ::) ;D

Joking apart, not many members are listed on the website - I'm not. Try emailing the Secretary via the website, I'm sure there must be a breeder in your area. If I get 10 mins later I'll have a look in my flock books.

Good luck  :sheep:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:43:54 pm »
Thanks Badgerface! yours look like a torduu as well. I have wanted some for years but could not afford one, now I guess all of those late nights lambing someone elses sheep paid off!

Thanks for looking that would be great, my email address is on my profile or through my website.

The ewe came from someone in Northampton orginally I think. He could have been a judge.  She has no dark wool on the top of her tail and she has coloured markings down her legs with no breaks.  She had two charolais cross lambs this year which did not show any badger markings, neither did any of his other lambs bred from badger ewes. My daughter has named her "Precious Baa Motswe" as she has been reading the "no1 detective agency" books! Try shouting that in the morning, Luckily my neighbours are all farmers or gamekeepers who have a sense of humour!

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:59:51 am »
I have found a couple breeder's in the flock book, I will PM their details to you. If your ewe has her registered tag intact and you can read her pedigree number, I should be able to look up her breeder for you.

I used to breed Charolais, and still have one cross bred ewe, her mother was a badger, her father a Charolais. She went back to a badger ram last autumn and produced these twins this spring - one of each !! I was quite surprised to see a little badger like face popping out  ;D

Badgers are lovely sheep.  :sheep:
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:55:42 pm »
I can't help being curious I have a passion for sheep patterns and genetics when you say badger like face doesn't that mean the lamb didn't quite fit the true badger face pattern as you see it in your purebred sheep? just wondering
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 04:30:03 pm »
I can't help being curious I have a passion for sheep patterns and genetics when you say badger like face doesn't that mean the lamb didn't quite fit the true badger face pattern as you see it in your purebred sheep? just wondering

The lambs face is pretty much as breed standard, but the black stripe under her neck should be solid, not broken, but even 100% Badgers can have broken stripes. Those sheep don't meet the standard required for showing (taste just fine though  ;)) Wider, stronger stripes are more desirable.  Her fleece is also much softer than a pure Badger.  :sheep:

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:01:42 pm »
That looks really interesting thanks badgerface. Thanks for the info, will call a couple of breeders this week

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS