Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: farm sales - wales; or other cheap souces of equipment  (Read 11169 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
farm sales - wales; or other cheap souces of equipment
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:05:44 am »
Hi,

When I was over in E anglia there were auctionhouses that regularly did farm equipment sales, where things seemed to go for good prices (from the buyers point of view).

Is there anything similar in south wales? I've tried googling various things on the theme of auction/farmsale but only found property auctions so far...

Having got myself a tractor it would be good if I could get some equipment to go with it (flail topper; harrow; pallet forks)- at the moment all I can do is drive it up and down.  :(

I'm looking for a flail topper for round clearance and pasture management

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
Re: farm sales - wales; or other cheap souces of equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:23:15 am »
Sorry I am not in wales but in NE Scotland there are often displenishment sales were the local auction mart sell the equipment of a retiring farmer. At these you can get everything from handtools, feeding equipment to tractors balers etc.
Have a look on the local auctioneers web site or here they are advertised in the saturday daily paper the week before (P&J).
Hope this is of help.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 08:30:43 am »
Mab - ours (North Wales) are advertised through the local press (we have a weekly local paper and a even localer welsh newsheet).  Rarely on the internet.  :-\ . Good luck, Fi

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:43:46 am »
ffairfach llandielo have a poultry sale the last sat of the month, outside they have machinery, equipment etc being auctioned everything from tractors, quad bikes, petrol strimmers to fencing supplies google bjp marts for the dates we have had some cracking stuff from there.
happy hunting  :thumbsup:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 09:08:59 am »
I've checked out Evans Bros site - they have a section on the Llanbydder Livestock mart and hold tool/implement sales every month.

See:
http://www.llanybydder.evansbros.co.uk/tools.asp#.UAe__RcePCM

Hope this helps

Sue

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 09:04:16 pm »
Thanks folks - they're exactly what I was looking for.  :thumbsup:

I didn't appreciate how much local knowledge I had where I was until I moved away.

marcus

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:07:26 pm »
Hi Marcus  :wave:
I can thoroughly recommend the mart at Fairfach, we used to go quite regularly before we moved north of Hadrian's Wall.

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 01:43:02 pm »
If it's going through an auction it is'nt cheap anymore.

What with the buyers primium and vat the only one thats on a good deal are the auctioneers

If you can buy private.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 12:18:59 am »
If it's going through an auction it is'nt cheap anymore.

What with the buyers primium and vat the only one thats on a good deal are the auctioneers

If you can buy private.

You may well be right, but If I go to an auction with an idea what the going private-price is there's always a chance at a bargain (if no-one else wants what I'm bidding on).

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 09:13:21 am »
Hi if you can get up the M4 to Cheltenham  there are a number of auctions around the place - I know that Grahamsinger.com has one coming up in August (it was supposed to happen back in june  - rain stopped play) and he has a load of kit of diffrent sizes, the prices are fair to.
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

joseph protheroe

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 02:18:39 pm »
Hello  JJ Morris hold a auction every month at Whitland Mart all agri  machinery stuff  have a look an there web site for dates
hope this helps  xx

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 06:42:01 pm »
Dispersal sales and or machinery sales at the markets are definitely not a cheap place to buy. And they're often full of crap that's knackered and the vendor doesn't want to sell on a face to face basis because he knows.

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 07:35:04 pm »
dispersal sales are not cheap in fact some items can be more than new price  simply because two buyers go head to head and the kit is  being used
machinery sales are interspersed with duds it is up to you to bail out and know what you are looking for :farmer:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 10:39:32 pm »
Hum..

so private sale is the best way to buy? - well I guess (as always) you need to know the market rate before going to an auction - I've seen stuff make silly prices on fleabay, and sometimes they go for a song. Trouble is I don't yet know the going rate for flail toppers, etc.

I don't suppose any south wales folks know the best places to find local agri private ads? the on-line marts I've found see to be hogged by dealer ads.

I know there a a few ads in the local papers - I guess I just need to keep looking in all the local papers - ho-hum.

thx

m

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS