Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: listeria  (Read 8286 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: listeria
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 03:34:08 pm »
Good to hear your ewe lamb is ok  Hazelwood. Our ram lamb has made a big improvement he ran up with the others today and didn't circle once. He stuck his head in the grub tub and stuffed himself so i think we caught it in time. No more new cases to report  :fc:
I love that hat Bramblecot! we are going to Gillingham show on Wednesday with the same boy and my hat so may come home with a prize. But if Hazelwood is there she'll whoop my a** for sure ;D

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 10:01:21 pm »
My lamb never circled, and no others have followed so thinking it's probably not listeria.
We will be at G&S, but don't worry as we have our own classes and championship! (and I am expecting to get my a** wooped by my good fiend Christine!)
I'll look out for the hat! ;)
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 09:08:04 am »
 ;D ;D ;D  good luck see you there :fc:

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 08:09:45 pm »
So how did you do? a tad wet wasn't it!  :raining:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 09:03:08 pm »
YEP GOT WET TO ME KNICKERS!!!
we won the ram lamb class got second on the ewe lamb class but our good friends beat us in the championship with their ewe lamb. how did you do.
Sorry i didn't come over, spent the rest of the day huddled in the collapsing Gazebo! so cold  :gloomy:

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 10:20:30 pm »
Thank goodness for waterproofs!
Had Breed champion with Gungadin (same ram as New Forest) and he won reserve supreme rare/minority, so worth the soak - collected £186 in prize money! (that has gone in the 'new sheep' fund ready for our breed sale!)  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 10:56:52 pm »
We are also being careful for ourselves cause it's zoonotic.

Feldar, be really careful because it IS a zoonosis. Mostly people get it from contaminated food, but if you know it's on the farm caution is never enough.

See this link:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/51400.htm

It's mostly heavy vetty stuff that could send you to sleep but quite useful to know epidemiology, symptoms and treatment + zoonosis aspects.

Hope it gets better  :)
 :wave:

I skim-read your post and thought you were telling me that my sleepiness could be due to listeria... ::)  But no, it's just due to doing a lot of work!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 08:38:08 am »
Thank goodness for waterproofs!
Had Breed champion with Gungadin (same ram as New Forest) and he won reserve supreme rare/minority, so worth the soak - collected £186 in prize money! (that has gone in the 'new sheep' fund ready for our breed sale!)  :thumbsup:
Well done, your having a blinder of a year! :trophy:  you will need police protection soon!! good luck with any more you do.
Sally
I know how you feel having sorted show lambs on Tuesday night, then found two in the field with fly strike even after we had sprayed them 3 weeks ago! with a show the next day, no way we could leave them, so caught them up and trimmed them out ; ended up having dinner at 10.00 that night :o  i wonder why we bother sometimes. No wonder we're tired :-J

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS