Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: halters?  (Read 2736 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
halters?
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:16:44 am »
Where do you organised people get your goat halters & leads from?!

We used a snap on soft collar & lead on our first goat, who was trained & stanchioned at the dairy we had her from.
The others have been very difficult to get used to a collar, so I'm thinking of trying halters on the littl'uns....

any training tips also appreciated!   :goat: 

(seen sheep halters on flea-bay for about £5, that's my starting point! the Agri merchants round here have only cattle or horsey ones...)
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: halters?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:30:35 am »
I use collars and leads on mine. Kids will only have collars on when I am actually walking/training with them, as they still manage to get their heads through the fence... They never have collars on in their pens.
I usually just take the kids out for a walk every so often, a but more lead walking over winter for the nearly goatlings in preparation for showing. I am not sure that training your kids is really necessary, the excitement of the show usually means that they jump everywhere anyway...
I have only ever seen males with headcollars/halters, never a female.
All my collars are the quick-release soft ones for everyday (bought when on offer at merchants), and nice leather ones for showing.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 12:38:18 pm »
£1  shop dog collars complete with leads are good enough for youngsters, they soon get used to them and you will find it very handy for catching and controlling the little sods. And if they should get hung up they will break open easily rather than strangle them. :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:25:08 pm »
Mine never seem to notice once the collar is on.  Until I get hold of it, of course.   ;D

Marsbar

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:59:22 pm »
I got my  :goat: head collar's from Llugwy farm.
Very good gear.

Richard
Richard
from Sheffield now in Chesterfield

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:59:10 am »
I've just got dog collars on mine. It didn't take long for them to get used to them. In fact, i was very surprised at how little time it did!

Helen

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 08:06:51 pm »
thanks all.

When our wether left, he would wear a collar under protest ... the people that took him just slipped a sheep halter over him & he trotted off good as gold!

think we need some smaller collars...
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS