Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dealing with sending first ever lambs 'down the road'  (Read 3250 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
dealing with sending first ever lambs 'down the road'
« on: May 05, 2009, 06:38:15 pm »
the time is coming near when the tup lambs (x 3 - not castrated) will have to 'go' This is my first time   In the past have had to have animals put down for humane reasons but this is the first time ever 'choosing' to kill something.  Yes I know this is how it has to be - haven't named the tup lambs and trying to keep emotionally distant from them.  Any general tips on how to cope with this first time round?    Also - have a dilemma - as I only have one field I'm considering sending the boys straight to market when they are taken off their mothers as in literally separate them into the trailer and take them off to market.  Is this 'cruel' ?? (yes I know they're going off to be killed but it just seems to make it somehow more unpleasant!!)   Is it better to sort out borrowing a field elsewhere, move the ewes, wean the lambs and then send them away a week later or so?    Is it better to find private buyers so that they go direct to an abbatoir from here and therefore don't have the added stress of market?   Husband wants to eat them but don't think I could eat my own.  This is possibly all seeming a bit daft to 'hardened' smallholders.  As you can probably tell - starting to get anxious about making it as stress free for the lambs as poss. Only a few more weeks until they should go (about 4 months old then)  Any thoughts?

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Re: dealing with sending first ever lambs 'down the road'
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:18:34 pm »
a large shot of brandy should settle the nerves

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:38:33 pm »
I still get very nervous and I've done several time now. I did find the whole experience less of an ordeal than I thought I might, personally I would only seperate them the once they time you choose to send them off. Mine have gone quite happily for a few sheep nuts. I can't say how things should go in the UK only done it here in france where everything is done at home I console myself that the alternative option for me was to become vegetarian if i couldn't make the decision and go through the whole process. I like to eat meat  ;D :sheep:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:55:14 pm »
once you know you gave them a good life you should have a clean conscience.

they would follow you over a cliff for a handfull of nuts lol.

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 06:36:36 pm »
thanks for the replies - good advice!

ok ... will have some alcohol to hand!!  they have been very well looked after and well fed so I'm going to try to console myself with that.  Am hoping to be off work (annual leave) that week so if I'm going to be particularly wussy about it I can do it at home!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS