Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land drain - weed control  (Read 6885 times)

tinwheeler

• Joined Mar 2012
Land drain - weed control
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:38:33 pm »
I'm preparing to put in a land drain to take water away from our field track. Planning a 12inch wide and 12 inch deep drain with perforated pipe and 40mm drainage stone.
A neighbour has recommended that I wrap the drainage pipe in weed control fabric to stop roots getting into the pipe, but I have concerns that this might also reduce the amount of water that gets into the pipe. Does anyone have any experience of doing this and any advice? I've bought the fabric now (its the papery type that DOES let water through rather than the woven plastic that doesn't, but even so surely it won;t let as much through as if it wasn't there!!).

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
Re: Land drain - weed control
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:26:36 pm »
The fabric is to stop the silt (fine particles) going into the drainage pipe and blocking it, it is the right way to do it.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:32:33 pm »

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:11:26 am »
you can buy perforated 100 mm land drain already covered in a micro filter in 100 mrt rolls ..it makes it a doddle to lay .

A 12 " deep one will likely get flattened in no time or damaged if you are thiking of cutlivating the land .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

tobytoby

• Joined May 2011
  • north ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:28:55 am »
The material is called Terram. Personally i wouldn't bother, when your drain is deeper than 12". It is used in the construction industry as standard now, but i wouldn't use for field drains.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:45:09 am »
various ideas and thoughts on this one       you can also get perforated pipe that is covered in polystyrene   this eliminates the need for gravel and the bother it can create          normal clay tiles if used in peat  chocked up with iron ochre to prolong the life expectancy of the system they used to wrap the drains in coconut fibre this was also used with wavincoil plastic drains  as once the slots were sealed with ochre the drain was as much use as a fart in a thunder storm
there are various types of geotechnical materials  all are a bugger to work with unless you have a squad of workers that have an idea of what is required :farmer:

LulaB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:36:53 pm »
Drainage!  Ah, I know it well.  I have land that hasn't been drained for 40 years and we could lose bodies in it.

We are draining field by field, but deep draining.  Our problem isn't surface water going down, but spring water coming up and then not being able to get back down.  Which have you got?

Deep drainage is the following - dig down until you hit the spring line (at least 5 feet) and lay your pipe north-south (all springs go east to west - don't ask me why) with outfall to ditches, tanks or streams.  Rod your pipes every month for the first year, knock back the piles of earth over the pipes and then mole plough.

It's working for us.  We are getting 2500 litres a day minimum from 3 1/2 acres and now have stock on those fields.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS