Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaving is mind boggling  (Read 5034 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Weaving is mind boggling
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:25:27 am »
Well I went to a weaving day yesterday at my spinning club and was loaned a small loom. The teacher was getting us to warp up on this big frame (didn't know you had to do that) transfer it to the loom and thread through all the bits and pieces. Those of you who weave will know what I mean, even though I don't.
It just about blew my mind and I was ready to give up. I have bought the loom home with me and will try to finish the threading but haven't got a clue what to do after that. There are a couple of experienced weavers at the spinning group (where the weaving day was held) so I will take the loom back with me next Tuesday to see if they can help me get further.
There was some good news, well I think it may be good news but not so sure after yesterday. It turns out that the spinning group have a club loom that they want to sell. Its quite big, which is the reason they want to sell it as most people don't have the table room for it. But, if I can pick it up I can have it for a nominal fee, maybe £5 but they haven't decided yet. Apparently its a nice loom and in good working order  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Weaving is mind boggling
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:02:29 pm »
I'd bite their hands off.  I used to use a forty inch loom and loved it.  Wish I still had it although I do love the loom I have now.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:58:47 am »
I've just bought a loom ::) - it's a 4 shaft Harris loom. I have no idea what it looks like or anything but the local Art College is selling off their's so I reckoned £50 was a bargain.

Not sure it will fit under the sink though, beside the fot spa and the toasty maker  :eyelashes:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:00:23 am »
Sally - go for it! What sort and what size? You'll kick yourself if you don't.

Rosemary, is it a table or floor loom?

I've got a fairly big Douglas Andrew four shaft floor loom winging it's way to me (in the back of my brother's truck) and hopefully arriving tonight.

Sally, shout here and see if we can help. Lesley (MGM) knows what she's doing and I am learning.

Weaving is fascinating and there is loads to learn, which is part of the appeal, but also makes it quite daunting too.

Ravelry groups - Warped Weavers, Rigid Heddle Looms and Weavers Cafe are all very active - are incredibly helpful  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:02:46 am by jaykay »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:06:00 am »
Um, table.

I THINK I fancy weaving - don't fancy spinning. Time will tell.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:47:56 am »
Jaykay, not sure what sort, other than a table loom but its quite big. I will just about have enough room in my craft room for it, although it will have to stand on the floor for the time being.
I hope to pick it up tomorrow. I will report back once I have had the chance to look at it.
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 11:37:32 am »
I've got a fairly big Douglas Andrew four shaft floor loom winging it's way to me (in the back of my brother's truck) and hopefully arriving tonight.
:excited: for you  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:53:47 pm »
Rosemary, that was a real bargain.  Harris looms are very good - one of the better ones.

Sally, if I can help, just shout.  I'll do what I can.  Pity we don't live a bit nearer each other as it is easier showing than expaining.  I know you are in Wales but I don't thnk it's the bit nearest me.  Let me know anyway.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 10:28:34 am »
I have found out that the loom I am getting is a home made one, although it doesn't look it. It has apparently been made to a specific pattern, Picking it up this morning  :excited:

MGM, I am in north west Carmarthenshire so, unfortunately, we aren't close but I may ask advice from time to time.  I won't be doing anything with the loom for a while as I have gots lots of things on the go at the moment.
thanks
Sally

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 05:53:03 pm »
Hmmm yes, you couldn't be much further and still be in Wales could you?  Lovely part of the country though.  Just ask away when you're ready.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:01:46 pm »
So here is a pic of the loom. It is very similar to the one I used for the weaving training day except larger.
The reed is small 14 (the same as the one I am training on) but I would like to be able to weave something a bit thicker. I think one of the ladies was using 10. Would that sound about right? Once I know the bits I need I can order on line.
If I use the full working surface I should get a cloth of just under 30 inches. Seems a bit ambitious to me at the moment though  ;D
I don't have any shuttles with it or any cross sticks but I know someone who can make these for me. I also need a warping board, which I didn't even know existed until my lesson earlier this week. I thought you just threaded up straight on to the loom.
Such a lot to learn  ??? 

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 09:50:30 pm »
Oh congratulations. That loom looks nice. Good you have jumped in at the deep end. Now to learn to swim ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 11:03:53 pm »
That is lovely. You're going to have such fun.  A ten reed is a good size to have.  It'll do most thicknesses.  You will also need a raddle but that is easy enough to make - just a piece of wood the same length as your roller with nails banged part way in at half inch intervals but measure carefully.  Look at the Handweavers' Studio for a warping board and other equipment.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 07:35:59 am »
Wow, is the handweavers still going :thumbsup:
I learnt to weave there 1n 1973

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07:44 pm »
It certainly is.  I bought my warping board from them recently.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS