Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Had a lump in my throat.  (Read 2056 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Had a lump in my throat.
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:58:29 am »
Driving between our two lots of land early yesterday morning, I noticed a family unloading a brown x breed dog near the vets.  Mum, Dad and two kids  in their early teens.  The dog looked old, but he toddled along behind the family.  It was then I noticed the whole family  were  in floods of tears, and were obviously taking the old dog to have him PTS.  I  would imagine he had grown up with those two kids, and it brought tears to my eyes to see how heartbroken they all were.

Thats the bit about dog and cat keeping I hate ......when they grown old.

lill

• Joined May 2011
Re: Had a lump in my throat.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:16:31 am »
I do not think it matter what animal is put to sleep, if we are fond of them then yes we are all going to be upset, remember though these animals have been well looked after and some are even treated like their babies. I know I was upset last year when I had to take my dog Sheba to the vet to get them to put her to sleep  :dog:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:13:32 pm »
Had a huge lump in my throat just reading that, Roxy :'(

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:39:30 pm »
My heart goes out to them and it brought back memories of when we took our GSD on the same journey three years ago.  That dog was obviously well-loved and I'm sure he had had a happy life.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:29:24 pm »
When I worked at a veterinary practice I used to assist with the PTS's.  It wasn't so much the process of putting to sleep, as I knew it was in the animal's best interest, but it was the heartbreak of the owners that affected me the most. A few days afterwards we would send a condolence card to the grieving owners.  I hope the family you saw will receive a card  :bouquet: .
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 04:38:26 pm »
Our vet is very good in that  he and a nurse will come to the house if need be, and the dog or cat can be pts in its own environment, which is often better than the trauma of going to the vet.  He also has a side door, which enables you to leave with your deceased pet without having to walk through the waiting room.....

I was waiting one day, and a man came out of the surgery with a cat carrier.  He looked very upset.  Went to pay the receptionist, who can see the screen in front of her, which the vet fills in while you are there, took his card to pay, and then asked "Will you be bringing the cat back for further treatment?"  The poor man looked even more upset as he replied in a choked voice that no, it was dead.

The strange thing is, I have sat holding plenty of my goats and horses over the years as they are pts, but, my husband has to take the dogs and cats, while I stay at home, howling!!

I am sure its hard for the vet and his staff, because its very likely they have treated the pet over the years, and dealing with a distraught owner is not easy.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »
So hard to have to walk through a waiting area full of people who still have their beloved pets.  I know.  I've done it.  I've also had a dog PTS at home.  She lay on my lap and died.  Much less traumatic for both of us.  The GSD was deliberately the last patient of the day so there was no one else to see us, and we didn't have to pasy at the time.  And we received a lovely card in which the vet had written, "Gurney was one of the gentlest shepherds I have ever known."  which was such a blessing.  The vet is a friend so knew him well and often offered to take him off our hands.  :)   No chance!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS