Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eucalyptus  (Read 3280 times)

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
Eucalyptus
« on: June 22, 2012, 08:56:08 pm »
we just cut some big branches off our Eucalyptus - no idea which particular brand - and wondered what to do with all the leaves other than flower arrangements.
How do you use it?
How do you extract the oil?
Is it good against midges (west of scotland devils)?

deepinthewoods

Re: Eucalyptus
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 04:06:07 pm »
yo u could try steeping the leaves in alcohol or other solvent, acetone would be best i should think

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:15:09 am »
I used to have a lovely Eucalyptus in Birmingham, but I think its a bit harsh here over the winter.  I used to use the leaves as they were in linen, under my pillow  or bashed up in hot water as a steam inhalation for colds etc - but you can also try making an oil infussion by bashing the leaves up a bit, covering with some bland oil (almond etc) and leaving in the sun for a few weeks.  Just found this method but never tried it..http://www.gardenguides.com/86912-make-own-eucalyptus-oil.html .  Have fun, Fi x

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:13:23 am »
I am trying to preserve some with glycerine - it seems to be working - all the leaves are changing colour and oozing brown liquid.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:47:55 am »
Katog, I can't answer the questions about eucalyptus  :-\  but I can tell you that a great deterrent for those West coast midgies is Avons 'Skin So Soft' spray on oil  ;)  Tested by fishermen  :thumbsup: ;D

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 09:56:39 am »
I dont know if it would work for eucalyptus , but years ago my ex used to add glycerine to warm water and stand copper beach branch trimmings in it for a couple of weeks to soak it up, then they kept forever as flower arangement stuff , really kept them nice and glossy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS