Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb not pooing???  (Read 5653 times)

kelsval

• Joined Aug 2012
lamb not pooing???
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:43:57 pm »
Hello all,
I have a 5 day lamb and she is not pooing! She seems to be happy & well, drinking etc. The first day we got her she did a small blackish poo, but nothing at all since.  She is weeing fine.  Is the lamb constipated? We are feeding her on profelac powdered milk, and i give her 5 x 140mls a day.  If she is constipated what can i do to get her to poo? i am trying wiping her bottom with a warm cloth while she feeds, any other ideas please, i don't want her to die from this :(
thankyou
Kel

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Re: lamb not pooing???
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:58:44 pm »
If the lamb is constipated she will make a strange noise when she tries to poo. If she did a blackish poo when you first got her how old was she then? Hope she has had her colostrum which certainly helps to shift the poo. If absolutrely necessary you could give her a warm soapy enema (blood heat), but if she isn't in pain I would wait a little longer. Is it possible she is doing very sloppy poo that is disappearing into the bedding?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: lamb not pooing???
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 11:02:52 pm »
Most likely is that you are simply not seeing the poo, as omnip says.

Otherwise... is her belly distended?  It will distend after a feed, of course, but does it go down again before the next feed?  If so, she's pooing.   If her belly is getting bigger and bigger and bigger then action will be required...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS