Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what breeds or crosses are my 3 sheep?  (Read 7801 times)

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
Re: what breeds or crosses are my 3 sheep?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 07:38:05 pm »
I had two (now one) shetland/ryelands and they dont look much like your sheep at all  :thinking:

Note sure what they could be but they are very cute :)

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 08:10:25 pm »
he actually said they were shetland x south downs....but i know nothing about the breeds so just said ok..

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 05:15:32 am »
he actually said they were shetland x south downs....but i know nothing about the breeds so just said ok..
What are their fleeces like?

Southdown on primitive is a cross I've considered to get a good fat lamb and a lovely fleece....  :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 04:27:45 pm »
The tiny white one with the coat in your last pic looks like a sheep x dog to me!
 :roflanim: (at own joke - pathetic..)
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 07:33:15 pm »
erm i don't know much about sheep fleece but seems to be dense and thick and doesnt part easily if that helps...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 04:10:11 am »
erm i don't know much about sheep fleece but seems to be dense and thick and doesnt part easily if that helps...

Well, yes, it does help  ;D  You wouldn't say that of a Shetland fleece; not parting easily suggests something like a Texel cross to me, but I am not very familiar with the fleece on the hoof of many other terminal sires - so quite likely Suffolk or even Southdown might feel the same. 

Anyone?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 02:17:59 pm »
I am inclined to go with the description of what they were sold as.

I really do not think there is much if any Black Welsh Mountain blood there.  The shape of the head is wrong, the appearance of the fleece is wrong, and one of them isn't black which is fairly unlikely if the other half is Southdown. 

The heads do look a little like the Dorset Down heads of my youth.  The variations in colour may well indicate Shetland.

Whatever they are they are nice and obviously very happy with you.

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 06:28:00 pm »
I'd say there was a strain of Suffolk in there as my Suffolk cross Jacob lambs a couple of years ago looked like the brown lambs! The white one looks like a Suffolk x Texel crossed again with something as I have a wether with similar markings!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS