Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silkie questions  (Read 2286 times)

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
Silkie questions
« on: July 26, 2012, 07:08:41 pm »
I have a 4 week old silkie chick and a few questions...

1. How do you tell the sex?
2. When can I introduce it to the flock? -  it isn't on heat anymore, it lives in a ribbit hutch with a duckling so is used to being outside

Thanks  ;D
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Silkie questions
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:22:29 pm »
4 weeks is much too young to join the flock. Needs to be nearly fully grown/ near POL. Any younger and it will not be able to defend itself and could be injured or killed.

Have no experience with Silkies. Some breeds are easier to sex than others. Someone with experience of this breed maybe able to help you.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:32 am »
Silkies are difficult to sex especially if you only have one. If you have several you can see differences. You'll have to wait and see if it srarts crowing or not at about  -+ 16 weeks.
Meanwhile I should get a couple of chicks of the same age to keep it company, even if you only borrow them :chook:

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 08:24:42 am »
Ahhh love silkie chicks. :love: Wrap it in cotton wool and keep it safe. Only joking but don't let the big guys at him yet.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 05:26:32 pm »
We have a silkie hen and a cockeral. They do look very similar apart from his comb and wattles. Wait till it crows, although you might blink and miss it as our boy hardly makes a noise. Silkies are very docile so be alert for trouble when you introduce them to your flock. Good luck x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS