Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rescue Pigs  (Read 3039 times)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Rescue Pigs
« on: May 11, 2009, 01:55:27 pm »
Hello,

Every now and again we come across pigs that obviously haven't had the best of care. Generally we end up buying them which whilst not making any financial sense does ensure that the piggy has a better life. It could be argued that we should report the owners for neglect but being a "blow in" (the term they use in Ireland for anyone not born locally) it's best (in terms of my family getting on) not to do anything about it.

Anyway has anyone been in a similar situation ? Our usual treatment is to 1) wash the pig in tea tree dog shampoo 2) treat any sores with antiseptic ointment/sprays 3) moisturise them with pig oil 4) put them out in a field to learn how to be a pig   5) get them to start trusting humans again by offering them tasty treats and general belly rubbing etc.

Any tips from anyone ?

Cheers

Gavin

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Rescue Pigs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 03:35:25 pm »
I think you're doing great as it is, Gavin.  well done!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 04:03:21 pm »
Are they your only pigs or do you have others. I would be worried about bringing sick animals in. But well done.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:41:25 pm »
Hello,

We make sure that they are well and truly scrubbed up before they go outside (i.e. treated for lice & worms) and then they wouldn't be let into a paddock with other pigs (although they can certainly see them across a laneway). Anything we take on are also from oadf herds (officially aujesky's disease free).

Cheers

Gavin

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:06:34 pm »
Sounds like pig paradise to me. I respond quite well to belly rubbing and tasty treats too!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:12:50 pm »
Yes can I phone you whn I'm in need of rescuing.  The treats to tame me are smoked salmon and chocolate, but not both at the same time! Oh and I like belly rubs too! ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 06:57:59 am »
Gavin thats lovely. ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS