Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig with swollen ear  (Read 11348 times)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
Pig with swollen ear
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:36:52 pm »
 :wave: One of my pigs has a very large swollen ear and it is getting no better a week on, in fact is getting bigger.
I have been reading older posts regarding this  and some say lance it and some say leave alone. I can't see any obvious wound so have not sprayed with purple spray. It is not bothering the pig unless I thouch it and he shakes his head. Will it eventually clear up?
Thanks in advance

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Pig with swollen ear
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:00:16 pm »
How old is the pig we had a weaner with a similar problem and the advice was to leave it alone if it is swollen with blood, most of these type are caused by trauma and the blood will naturally disipate of its own accord which it did in a few weeks.
is the swelling liquid or solid? Is it hot and red? Could it be a sting?
If the ear is causing considerable discomfort then you must call the vet for advice. Only you can decide that.
Mandy  :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:51 pm »
A sting would have been my first thought too.
Do you have tea tree oil ? It's a really good natural antiseptic, so if you could spray some (mixed with water) over the ear it might help.
I'd be wary of lancing and letting extra infection in (if indeed it is an infection)
Keep an eye on it for a couple of days and see what happens.
Karen  :wave:

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:47:19 pm »
Hi Mandy and Karen
The swelling feels like a bag of liquid and a bit warmer than the other ear. He is almost 5 months and seems cheery and eating well. I am tending towards not lancing because of infection risk. Just read an interesting article online about a trial done at a pig farm, with some being lanced and some drained and the rest left alone. The ones that were left had little or no recurrance, while the others had infections and reappeared a few times before clearing up.
Obviously if he seems in discomfort I will call the vet. I am actually taking dogs for vacs tonight so will ask about pig too (just never sure how much they deal with pigs and know I will get good advice on here!)
Have also sprayed liberally with purple spray incase there is a wound that I can't see. I don't think he was impressed ;D

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:04:28 pm »
Some of my pigs get a swelling now and then which seems to be watery and doesn't bother them. I asked the vet about it and he said leave it alone and don't lance it as it will get infected. It usually lasts for a few weeks and goes as suddenly as it came. :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:47:40 pm »
Agree with the others, would tend not to lance due to infection risk unless you are experienced at this and can get him onto something like concrete to prevent infection.

If it's blood trauma (a "bash" for instance) then as others say it should go down soon, and the fact that it is still growing after a week might indicate against this as a cause.

If still growing, more possible would be a puncture that has got infected - a thorn can be sufficient.

If it persists and continues to grow would consider getting the the vet out - antibiotics would be indicated with possibly the vet lancing - if he does can you get the pig onto/into something where he won't be lying with it against mud? - a shed etc.? 

If it stays the same size, and is causing no problems, then as BB says might leave it and see what nature does.

As Mandy sensibly says only you can be the judge in the end - us soothsayers haven't seen it :)

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:11:00 pm »
Thanks to all who replied - and after a few weeks the ear is looking good and really going down, without intervention. Don't think it will ever go back to 'normal', but off to the big pig ark soon, so will never know!
Thank you all again for fab advice  :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 10:05:00 am »
You're welcome, you'll probably find your weaner ends up with a cauliflower ear, ie slightly wrinkled or folded but it doesn't make any difference to it.
Enjoy your piggies
mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS