Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving on to breeding  (Read 7460 times)

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
Re: Moving on to breeding
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 10:51:51 am »
Arggg, another minus point. I forgot about that one! Our LBs and OSBs got together when OSBs were 4 months, breech in security fencing! they got on so we kept them together but then realised the it girls LBs were eating most of the food and the little girls stayed little.

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 10:54:23 am »
Meant to say, Pete, how do you feed separately? Lure the big one into a separate pen, then release after they've eaten?

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 02:05:50 pm »
Hi BEB,

I feed him (the smaller of the 2) within the double gates upon entering the enclosures. See picture below.

It only took him a day to learn that was his place and he trots in for his feed and when he has done eating a gentle nudge and out he gos to get a drink!

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 08:07:28 am »
That looks like a neat system. Thanks for the pic. By the way, love the pig houses, they almost look like little holiday cabins! Have to show my hubby your design (though think he really likes climbing into skips looking for free wood) ;D

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 11:21:44 am »
What Robert means is that the system you currently have works so why change, there are a lot of surplus pigs in the market at present, if you breed you need to have a market for 10-12 piglets, what will you do with them all especially if you can't sell them on?
Go to GOS website and read the articles in Getting Started, the one which starts what on eartjh am i going to do with all these piglets (we had 16 in a litter!).
You can keep one sow and keep back a couple of her piglets to keep her company and with exceedingly good management have 2 litters every 18mths or so. You also have to think about the extra committment that keeping breeding stock entails 365 days of the year and as Robert points out the increased costs etc. You also need to know what the market is like in your area. So do your homework.
HTH
mandy :pig:

I have just recently had a litter of 17 and intend to keep the whole litter back. I might just fluke a few more like this.   Twice a year would be good..... if not 3 times per year

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »
Thanks re the arks BEB ... if you would like the design I'm happy to share it.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 10:31:59 am »

I have just recently had a litter of 17 and intend to keep the whole litter back. I might just fluke a few more like this.   Twice a year would be good..... if not 3 times per year

Thats great for you Blonde if you can keep them but the weaner market here in the uk is a tortuous, volatile, incertain place.
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 10:55:30 am »
fowgill the australian pork market is far better than ours they are supplying china so it will be alright until china gets into difficulties :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS