Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feather loss in 10 week old birds???  (Read 3733 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Feather loss in 10 week old birds???
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:20:40 am »
Hi all, My 10 week old 'chicks'  (Light Sussex and a couple of marans) have started free ranging a bit this week with my remaining ISA adult bird.  They dont stray far from the run and I have noticed quite a lot of feathers in the run in the last few days.  The birds all look well and happy - question is do they moult or loose feathers naturally at this age or is something attacking them (my cat is number one suspect).  They are all happily sunbathing at mo.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Feather loss in 10 week old birds???
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:47:13 am »
Yep. No worries ...... normal time to moult.  ;D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:58:42 am »
Ah thanks - I dont remember it happening in last years chicks, but they were all cocka doodling by this time, so we might have eaten them by now!! :innocent:

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »
The chicks wont be moulting until next year, must be your ISA.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 01:54:56 pm »
Nope... White and black feathers all over the place, couple of gingers from the isa, but defo from the 'chicks' (pullets?).  They dont seem to be scrapping at all, so cant imagine its that ??? .  Any other suggestions??

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 02:09:36 pm »
Scrapping or feather plucking definitely not moulting.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 02:16:32 pm »
OK thanks.  Anything to worry about?  Or all normal behaviour/ part of the pecking order thing?  As I say they are freeranging (so shouldnt be a space issue?) and when out, they stick quite close together (except the ISA - I guess it is possible she's bullying them and I just havnt seen it??

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 02:22:53 pm »
Most likely pecking order but as they are free ranging they should be ok. Keep an eye on them and if it persists get some anti pecking spray.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 02:29:03 pm »
Mmmmm ..... my chicks lose some feathers at about that age. Not a complete moult as you see in some older hens but they do lose some feathers. Always seem healthy otherwise.

When my latest chicks first started free ranging, I was amazed at how much interest the ex-batts showed in them. None of my other hens were remotely interested in them but the brown commercials were very nosey and did a bit of pecking at first. Soon forgot about them but maybe worth watching them a bit just in case. Think you would see some damage if the cat was playing with them.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 03:02:42 pm »
Just had a quick search for this on the net. Look at Poultrykeeper.com .... article by Tim Daniels. Apparently growers moult twice in the first 6 months but it is a very gradual thing and they retain a good covering of feathers. I  find it more noticeable in some breeds than others ...... some of mine actually change colour/patterns on plummage during this time. Must be a gradual thing as he says because it almost happens without you noticing.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 03:09:35 pm »
Just getting their adult plumage thats all.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 03:35:09 pm »
That fits - mixture of pecking order and adult feathers - bet I didnt notice it before because a brown feather on brown ground from 4 birds  ... ;D   Where as white black and grey  feathers from 7 birds look like a serious incident!  Thanks again :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS