Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone out there do their own FEC sampling?  (Read 9945 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Anyone out there do their own FEC sampling?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 03:27:56 pm »
I've only just started doing this. I picked up some pointers from guys on other forums, got  a scope off ebay, and a McMaster kit from these folks:  http://www.vetslides.com/EPGfecalkit.html  (I put an order in with them and they redirected me to http://www.microscopy.uk.com/ as a uk supplier).  That site also detail suitable scopes so you can get an idea of what spec you need (100x mag with mechanical stage).
There is the initial expense, but having FECs done at vets or anywhere else the costs mounts up over the years.

That kit comes with pictures and instructions.  There are also other pictures and stuff available on the web, e.g. http://www.rvc.ac.uk/review/parasitology/RuminantEggs/Common.htm

I guess if you aren't sure what you are seeing then you could post a photo on a forum, or print it out and ask vet for an opinion.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 12:54:29 am »

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 06:44:24 pm »
I have been in contact with Brunel Microscopes again today to see whether they would be able to offer a discount for multiple purchases and also to see what microscope they would recommend for connecting to the PC (probably a bit pricier than many of us would like to spend). Please see below their response:

If you have a look at this link you can see the digital SP_20 for which there is an alumium carry case—we could put together a complete SHEEP kit and would offer 20% discount on multiples of 5 Units.

http://www.digital-microscopes.co.uk/sp20ddigitalmicroscope.html

I daresay we could still achieve a good  discount on a kit with a cheaper microscope. If we drum up interest from more than 5 people it might be that we can get an even bigger discount.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 07:25:18 pm »
If anyone might be interested in one of these kits from Brunel, please could you PM me and let me know whether you would be interested in a) a kit with the standard microscope @ around £100 less discount, b) a kit with the microscope that could be attached to the PC @ £250 (estimated) less discount or c) the flotation kit only (assuming Brunel would consider this).

Also PM me if you know of anyone else or other smallholder groups that might be interested.

Once we know if there is sufficient interest we can consider how best to proceed.

Thanks

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 08:04:19 pm »
I would defo be interested in option A!  :thumbsup:
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 09:30:35 pm »
I might be interested.  :wave:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 09:31:22 pm »
They have told me that they do sampling for free at my vets  ??? .

Is that not the norm then?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 09:32:18 pm »
Not from what I've heard ITH, I'd take them up on that!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 10:10:01 pm »
I hate to be against the general consensus in this matter, but I feel for the vets that:

a) will be missing out on some pocket money here (a practice is a business after all and has very high costs) if everybody starts doing your FEC; vets love animals and their jobs, but they have to feed children and fuel cars too!
b) generally the vet that comes sampling your animals will know the farm/smallholding, the way things are done etc, and will almost always (exceptions allowed here, not all vets are saints) keep an eye out for other symptoms and general health check of the animals.

That is also why I don't really like the idea of sending samples out to a random company that does not know the farm. They will just give you raw data back and often interpreting is difficult. Even if they have a vet that signs off the results, they won't know the particular situation. This is where a 5-6 year degree comes handy!!!  :-J

And, talking to the vets always helps, even if you want to pester them about the pet cat whilst they are sampling the sheep. I feel that most practices will offer discounted/free FEC if enough/year are requested/planned; they'll be rewarded by a worm-free smallholding. However I think they'd always charge full price if only one FEC every now and then is asked.

Just my opinion (vet school was super-hard!!)  :bouquet:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 07:56:56 am »
Having just given my vet a whooping £72 for postmortum services for one lamb (and for that to come back inconclusive too), I sure don't want to give them any more of my hard earned cash if I can help it.  :(
The ones around my way are defo not short of "pocket money".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:59:30 am by foobar »

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 08:55:27 am »
Just a note of caution - please treat any "DIY" results you get as "indicative" as they will not be as accurate as a count carried out in a Lab by a qualified and trained SQP.

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 09:45:38 am »
SfS you are absolutely right and as other forum members have indicated it is not always that easy to interpret the data.

From a personal level, as mentioned in my very first post on this topic, 'I would still get my vet to do the occasional FEC throughout the year as backup so this is largely to satisfy my own curiosity and also to keep a more regular overview of things'. I'm guessing that others on this forum will probably do the same as they wouldn't want to jeopardise the health of their flocks.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 02:22:20 pm »
Just out of interest, and without wanting to hijack the thread - what do vets charge for a FEC?

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Welshcob

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 05:06:10 pm »
It really depends on the practice and workload. I haven't travelled that far, but I know that if a practice doesn't do them routinely (i.e. small animals practice) might charge slightly more than a farm practice, mostly because they send it out to external lab.

However in my experience I have heard from "free FEC", as part of herd/flock health plans, to an average of £3-4 each (generally a pool of more than one animal, if there's many there is always room for discounts in my experience), to some higher charges of £15 each. However if the practice supplies more than just the most general FEC for round worms, that might justify the higher costs.

Also bear in mind that whatever the practice charges the client, there is always included a price for the vet's time (which is more expensive than a lab technician's time) and personalised consultation/result analysis, which a lab technician might be able to do (experience and all that) but generally does not have authority for that.

Maybe somebody has more specific info?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 10:33:41 pm »
Just out of interest, and without wanting to hijack the thread - what do vets charge for a FEC?

Thanks

Mine charge nothing, unless you want them to send it to the national lab. I believe this is now much the norm for repeat ag customers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS