Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hand Sheared my first 2 sheep today - thanks to Singing Shearer!!!  (Read 3745 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Well, the rain finally stopped in Bala yesterday!  HAlelulyah,  So gathered the full 14 in, and sheared the final 2 (although one did escape - and I had to hook her while she was eating some sheep nuts and shear her in the field!! ).  Philip had done the other 12  - these final  2 have been consitant objectors to being gathered in!

Wasn't pretty (must try and get some shots - they look like they have had cotton wool balls stuck on them!), DID take about 40 mins each sheep, but they are now sheared with no signs of anytihing untoward.   I didnt have any cuts (2 close nics, but no blood) and I am pretty pleased ;D ;D ;D  !!! Bit of an achy back, but nothing a bit of yoga wont remedy.  So relieved!

THanks again Phillip for showing me and giving me the confidence to try xxxxx  :bouquet: :bouquet:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:17:54 pm by FiB »

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Hand Sheared my first 2 sheep today - thanks to Singing Shearer!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 08:13:17 pm »
Well done FIB - up here I have Dougal to do most but I chose to handshear the 2 Moorist with young lambs (at the shearing time - quite a while ago) as I didn't want the lambs trampleted on - it took me ages about an hour per ewe but they don't look too bad and I was pleased not to laserate anyone too  :thumbsup:

My resent ram arrival I did on the move as he slowly munched I slowly clipped - not an advisable technique but did get the job done - eventually - but I know what you mean about the bobbly effect and I think he may now look as if he has muscles where he shouldn't!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:24:03 pm by Brucklay »
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:24:56 pm »
Thats the liberating thing - we dont have to stick to patterns, no-one will tell us off if the fleece in not in one piece (as long as not going to wool board or paying customer etc) - love the idea of shearing on the hoof - not the best for us, but great for the sheep!!!  I did at least half of my shearing in a kneeling postion (sitting on my feet) with the sheep lying across my knees.  IT seemed very relaxed, which was just as well as it took so bloody long!   All in all, not as bad as I feared and will aim for a closer cut next time.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:48:45 pm »
I find it funny, I have a couple of sets of hand shears small/medium and only use the top inch, I couldn't try for a longer cut in case I nip the skin - but I guess that's experience and practice - one day maybe.

It is quite a hypnotic noise though - snip, snip snip as long at the "patient" is chilled out  :fc:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:54:38 am »
and theres no better feeling when you watch the last one walk away across the field, cool and comfy. Altho Dougal did our 20 this year, I did keep my hand in last week by teaching the purchasers of 3 of our wethers how to hand shear them, and the feeling was just as good, even tho they arent mine any more. :thumbsup:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 08:12:56 am »
I find it funny, I have a couple of sets of hand shears small/medium and only use the top inch, I couldn't try for a longer cut in case I nip the skin - but I guess that's experience and practice - one day maybe.

It is quite a hypnotic noise though - snip, snip snip as long at the "patient" is chilled out  :fc:

Me too.  I think that will be most of the time difference - Snip snip, 1 inch at a time, Vs 3 - 4 inch at a time.  Got a confession - I used topiary shears!!!  I have some small dagging shears but looked at my other shears, which seemed the right shape, sharpened them and they were better!!  Proper shears next year though !!  Philip - can you get me some plse??? Not sure How I'll manage the full flock next year (aching a bit this morning!!) - I guess I can just do 2 or 3 a day for a week - especially now Ive masteredt the 'hook a sheep' in the field technique!!?

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:16:59 pm »
Congratulations!  :)

Will look forward to seeing photos ;) Yes, I will try to sort you some proper shears out.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 11:51:29 am »
Here's a pic of one of my girls all done - bit bobbly but at least done!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 01:50:11 pm »
Wow!  Not as Bobbly as mine  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D .  Lovely sheep and smooth job!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS