Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with skin problem - advice please  (Read 3022 times)

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
Lamb with skin problem - advice please
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:01:17 am »
Hello wise sheep people
I have a 4 month old female lincoln longwool lamb, who we just noticed limping, and found that she has a 'bare patch' on her groin, where wool has come away. The skin is crusty and a little weepy in places. I would say orf, but I thought that was only around the mouth.
I originally thought that I would spray with purple spray and see how she gets on, but now feeling a little more apprehensive. I have looked in my books, but nothing obvious jumping out at me. Is it something that I would need antibiotics for? ( I  know a picture would be more helpful, I will get one ASAP).
We had rain her last night and unfortunaltey grazing is higher than I would like ( including thistles), would it be better to bring her ( and twinny and mum) in for observation. She seems OK, aprat from the limp?
All advice greatly appreciated
thanks
Jo
(PS If you guys cannot help without photo, I try and track down sheep owning person in the village for advice)
PPS sorry for any typos,, everytime I spellcheck I lose the entire post

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Lamb with skin problem - advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:31:05 pm »
If shes crusty where her upper leg meets her body (inside crease), they all have that. Hows her foot/joints?

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:54:31 pm »
Ooh Steve... mine look greasy rather than crusty. I take it it's simply a build up of lanolin which deposits there maybe?
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:56:10 pm »
Yeah, it is I think, I've had crusty ones, specially on older ewes.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:09:53 pm »
It's good to know what to look for! Talking of older ewes, Steve... what age would you breed your ups til! I hear conflicting views. Some sites say up til  7, others up til 10 then on this forum I saw recently a lady had successfully bred a 16 year old! I thoought average life expectancy for a sheep was 10-11 if left to die naturally, of course!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:43:20 pm »
It's good to know what to look for! Talking of older ewes, Steve... what age would you breed your ups til! I hear conflicting views. Some sites say up til  7, others up til 10 then on this forum I saw recently a lady had successfully bred a 16 year old! I thoought average life expectancy for a sheep was 10-11 if left to die naturally, of course!
Depends on the breed of sheep (smaller primitiive breeds do go on quite abit longer), size and history (well health in general, udder problems often mean an end to a breeding career), your system (as in how much tlc can you give to an older toothless ewe for example)... I have bred my oldest ewe (shetland) at the age of 12, but that was her last batch... she then had a winter without lambing (and lots of slices of toast) and then in spring she seemed to suffer from a stroke or similar...
I probably wouldn't take any of the larger crosses that long...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 10:46:15 pm »
I know a Lake District hill farmer who claims he had a Herdwick 17 years old, still producing one lamb a year, on the hill, no help.

We cull them when their teeth are going, if their udders are gone, or if they're just 'showing their age' and would struggle in another Cumbrian winter.  Here, that's rarely more than 7 years old  :(  but in easier terrain and climate they could go on a lot longer.

Fleecewife has talked about this before, and says you can keep them going even when their teeth are gone - but obviously you have to have the ground, climate and system that can keep them healthy and happy to do that.

Some hill farms 'draft' (sell as breeders) ewes after they've produced so many crops (typically 2 or 3, but some draft at 4- and 5-crop); lowland farms will get another 2, 3 or more crops out of them on easier ground. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS