Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cattle for Small holding  (Read 7303 times)

NZelmo

• Joined May 2012
Cattle for Small holding
« on: July 16, 2012, 02:16:49 pm »
Good Afternoon All Helpful Accidential Smallholders,  We would like to venture into cattle now on our small holding, and are looking for recommendations for small, easy to handle cattle for beef.

We currently have some Wiltshire Horn sheep and would like to extend our smallholding with 3 or 4 cattle.

Many thanks in advance for any advise.  Kind Regards Em :farmer:

HappyHippy

Re: Cattle for Small holding
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:07:32 pm »
Shetland cattle  :thumbsup: I'm not a keeper myself (yet !) but Rosemary and Princess Piggy will be along soon to give you their views  ;)
They are smaller than most breeds, but incredibly hardy, good dual purpose if you fancy milking them and the meat is, well it's blooming great  :yum:
If you google shetland cattle breeders association you'll get all the info and a local contact for your area who you can talk to about setting up for them and sourcing stock.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:55:04 am »
Dexters and Belted Galloways are also small and dual purpose. The Galloways have the sweeter nature.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:17:06 pm »
HappyHippy is right - here I am recommending the Shetland; small, thrifty, hardy, docile will raise her own calf plus another or will provide milk for the house.

I love my cows  :eyelashes:

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:51:31 pm »
oh go on and get a jersey    you can milk them and rear two calves or if you want four  :farmer:

Blackmyre

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Dallas, Moray
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:55:58 pm »
Dexters and Belted Galloways are also small and dual purpose. The Galloways have the sweeter nature.
Interesting - I have heard a few comments about Belties being quite a handful. Some suggested they are just heedless of human frailties, whereas others have suggested that they can be downright aggressive. Dexters are considered by many to be placid, easy animals to handle. A friend of mine who kept them for some years said otherwise.

I was chatting about cattle temperaments with someone in here via PM recently, and I suggested that handling can have a big influence on temperament. That's not to say that there aren't inherent traits in certain breeds (or bloodlines within the breed), but that it's probably not the only factor.

Regarding the relative sizes of smaller breeds, I believe that a 30-month old Dexter could be expected to be about 400kg lveweight. We sent our first Shetland steer away a couple of weeks ago, and he seems to have weighed-in at around 570-580kg.

Steve.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 05:03:59 pm »
I was chatting about cattle temperaments with someone in here via PM recently, and I suggested that handling can have a big influence on temperament. That's not to say that there aren't inherent traits in certain breeds (or bloodlines within the breed), but that it's probably not the only factor.

Very wise words, and generally true of other species and breeds.

You should still get Shetlands though Em. ;) :D

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 05:09:59 pm »
Steve,

What age was your Shetland steer (if you don't mind me asking  ;)) I'm making preparations for mine arriving and want to gather as much info as possible  :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to make both of mine (a heifer and a castrated bullock) very tame and friendly  :fc: Lots of brushing, petting, halter training and handling as well as regular reiki treatments  ;) ::) so hopefully they'll be calm, easy to handle animals - I think it's essential since I'll (hopefully) be milking the heifer after she calves and will feel much safer doing it knowing she's placid  :fc:

Karen  :wave:

Blackmyre

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Dallas, Moray
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 06:41:50 pm »
What age was your Shetland steer (if you don't mind me asking  ;) )
Not at all. He was 11 days short of 30 months. As you probably know (but some reading may not) there are additional requirements for cattle over thirty months (OTM to the trade) vs. those under thirty months (UTM). Some abattoirs are not equipped/licensed to handle OTMs, and some that can do it are reportedly reluctant to do so for private work.

I have heard that beef from younger Shetlands is just as good, FWIW, but there's obviously less of it to go around.

I'm hoping to make both of mine (a heifer and a castrated bullock) very tame and friendly
Most of ours are very friendly. A couple of our orginal four animals (bought as unhandled year-old heifers) generally prefer not to be touched, but the other two are happy being handled. All the ones we've bred from them enjoy having their rumps scratched, and one of them is so people-friendly that she demands attention and becomes positively jealous of others getting it.

milking the heifer after she calves and will feel much safer doing it knowing she's placid
Sensible, but bear in mind that there are many stories of placid heifers that have become demons after calving.

Steve.

Templelands

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Strathaven, South Lanarkshire
    • Templeland Cottage
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »
Well since being on the TAS smallholder course a few weeks ago I've fallen in love with Shetlands. Trying to source one or two now but wow they are like hens teeth! All those advertised sell quick.

It will be Shetlands for me though!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 10:27:57 pm »
Wasn't there someone selling two Shetland Heifers in the Marketplace recently? North Wales i think.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS