Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Suffolk X Ram - Possible Sale?  (Read 2092 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Suffolk X Ram - Possible Sale?
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:29 pm »
I have a shearling suffolk x (possibly Welsh) ram which I bottle fed.  I kept him as company for my main Suffolk ram and planned to put him in freezer come autumn.  However, my OH is soft and thinks someone might be interested in him for tupping if they maybe don't want something quite as substantial as pure bred Suffolk.

Therefore I am prepared to sell him privately if someone is interested.  Although semi-tame he is in no way aggressive towards people even around ewes.  Shows normal argi-bargy with other rams though!  If it stops raining I will take a picture and either email to anyone interested or try and post it on later.

I am based in Wiltshire.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Suffolk X Ram - Possible Sale?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:27:24 pm »
As promised here is a picture

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 01:07:40 pm »
The ram is half the flock. So if you want a Suffolk ram you want a pure bred in order to get fast growing lambs. If it's half something else, then the something else is as likely to come out as the Suffolk. So a Welsh cross is not likely to be sought after for fat lamb production. 
That's the trouble with keeping livestock - there's always one that you get a soft spot for. Is it worth getting him vasectomised and use him as a teaser and to keep your Suffolk company when he's not with the ewes?

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:36:06 pm »
I agree, if you want to keep him as pet/companion for ram have him castrated by the vet or vasectomised. Too many pure rams out there let alone x breeds!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:11 pm »
I have no problem with killing this ram as have more buyers than meat at the moment!  Just that people seemed to be after cheap rams and it was an option to keep him alive.

He will be in the freezer in September!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:42 am »
The ram is half the flock. So if you want a Suffolk ram you want a pure bred in order to get fast growing lambs. If it's half something else, then the something else is as likely to come out as the Suffolk. So a Welsh cross is not likely to be sought after for fat lamb production. 
That's the trouble with keeping livestock - there's always one that you get a soft spot for. Is it worth getting him vasectomised and use him as a teaser and to keep your Suffolk company when he's not with the ewes?

A crossbred lamb can be useful, I'm quite taken with SufTexes. However an unknown cross wont be sought after as said. Also, the lamb was orphanned, you have no idea if it was assisted and have no growth data for it. I would want the best possible genetics in a breeding ram: One of twins, unassisted, well mothered and decent weight at weaning, all of these traits are heritable. I dont think it is unreasonable for any ram buyer to know these details.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS