Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jersey Giants  (Read 2787 times)

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
Jersey Giants
« on: May 04, 2009, 03:59:15 pm »
I have just put some Jersey Giant hatching eggs in the incubator - I have received three different lots from ebay (3 different sellers) - a total of 24 eggs.  My idea is to have some for breeding and therefore I am hoping to keep some cockerels and hens from different sources from these eggs.

We have colour coded the eggs to let us know which came from where and I want to do the same with the chicks as they hatch do you think I am ok to do this with a highlighter pen the same as the eggs ? (we did this with the puppies as people bought them LOL) and I thought it may be a good idea with the chicks

Wish me luck this is the first eggs that I have every tried to hatch.

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
Re: Jersey Giants
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 04:19:17 pm »
Good luck with the hatch Milly, I was looking at pictures of jersey giants yesterday and they are fine looking birds..

I'm still trying to source some eggs for my broodies to sit on, I think I might have to resort to ebay, I was looking at some yesterday and some of the P & P was as much as £10,00  ... what is a reasonable price to pay for P & P?

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 05:10:29 pm »
The ones that I got were £5.00 for 6 being sent which I can understand when you see that they have to put them in polestyrene boxes made for them as well as the postage.  I think that this is the norm on ebay for eggs being sent.

The actual eggs cost me from £5.oo to £11.01 depending on how the listed them or who bid for them.

Don't forget to put in variations of spelling if you are trying ebay, as that is how I get my best bargains when the seller mis-spells and no-one finds the items. LOL

Wheatens / Wheatons is a good example.

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 05:30:05 pm »
That's a great tip Milly, thanks, something I would never have thought about doing  :)

I have put a bid in for some eggs on ebay for Pekin bantams, bidding finishes on them both today, so fingers crossed!

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 06:36:09 pm »
Just another little tip - leave the bidding until the last minute or if you can, as I do the last 20-30 seconds.  I usually put a bid in early in the listing and then leave it until the last 20-30 seconds to bid again if it has not gone out of my budget.

This way you do not get into a bidding war early on set yourself a budget and put that in at the last minute - that way you may only pay 50p more than the last bidder or may go up to your budget and still lose, but it is worth trying.  Since I have been doing it this way I have had alot of bargains as it does not give the other person a chance to rebid or they think they are the only bidder.

I know it kind of sneaky but it does work.  So sorry any sellers !?! If it helps I have sold over 600 items on e-bay as well as bought about 200 items.  Hooked is what they call it (I think)  My latest - before the eggs was a grass collector with I got for my sit on lawn mower (nearly £200 new) I got it for £65 - had to collect from 60 miles away but was well worth it.

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 06:44:27 pm »
I'll keep your tips to hand  ;) Only 3 hours to wait

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS