Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My first attempt at watercolour pencils and pigs!  (Read 2646 times)

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
My first attempt at watercolour pencils and pigs!
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:00:50 pm »
Thaought I would try out a piggie picture and after a bit of trial and error did this one. But not really sure how to use them!! Any tips would be great.
I mostly prefer to use acrylics and I am even rusty with them, but have always been a bit scared of watercolours (you can't paint over mistakes, and I seem to make plenty  ;D )

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: My first attempt at watercolour pencils and pigs!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:28:12 pm »
I like  :thumbsup:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:05:10 am »
I like it too  :thumbsup:

I think the easiest way with the watercolour pencils is to build the layers up gradually, letting the paper dry completely inbetween 'coats' Once you get to the top coats only use a very slightly damp brush over the top or you can get water pens (but you have to watch as they do let quite a lot of water flow)
Here's a good link http://www.squidoo.com/Watercolor-Pencil-Technique and some of mine are on my Yonderton website in the photo gallery (but they were just straight watercolour because the kids got hold of my pencils  ::))
Karen  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

aliceinwonderland

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Victoria, Australia
  • one day, i will live in my very own wonderland
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 01:19:07 am »
It looks lovely!
I remember my best friend (who won all the art prizes at school) always used to shave some of the pencil into a little egg cup or onto a small pallette and mix it with water so that she could use that as paint as well as the draw-then-paint-over method. I'm afraid that's the only watercolour tip I know!

As someone who is extremely artistically challenged, I am very impressed!
planning to have: beef cattle, a house cow (or two), maybe some goats, definitely some hens and ducks, a lovely farm with rolling hills and a stream running through the back paddock, and a cottage covered with climbing roses and an old wood-fired stove.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09:28 am »
Thanks all
Karen, that's a great website and well explained. I love the horse and as that is my favourite subject matter I can't wait to try it out. I think with the pig I pretty much did what you said to do but I was probably trying to work on too large an area at a time. Now where are my pencils ;D

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:26:01 am »
That is sooo good, well done .You have really caught the movement of the pig walking.I can just imagine it bobbing along with its ears flapping up and down!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS