Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with Black Stained Teeth  (Read 2664 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Lamb with Black Stained Teeth
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:21:55 am »
Has anyone ever noticed discolouration of their lamb's teeth?  I had one which seemed a bit agitated which I presumed was flies.  I noticed a bubble showing from his mouth (only one and no dribbling). When I caught him last night to check over his teeth at the base were black as if coated with tar. What I don't know is if he has eaten something in hedgerow that would have done it or something else.

He is pooing and weeing normally so must be eating, doesn't look thin. But does look a bit depressed and never see him chewing cud like others.

Any suggestions? He is approx 3 months old.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Lamb with Black Stained Teeth
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:05:48 am »
Have you checked the teeth on your other lambs/sheep? I've noticed that some of ours have staining at the bottom of their teeth so it might be quite normal.

Is the lamb up to date on wormer/Heptavac P etc?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:39:06 am »
There is one type of ABX that is not supposed to be used in puppies and kittens as it discolours the teeth apparently had it had ABX as a young lamb?

This sound like rotten teeth though? If it's dribbling it's probably in pain and I would be taking it to the vet. Toothache is the worst :'(
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:45:38 pm »
It isn't exactly dribbling just looks like he is trying to blow bubbles but not all the time.  They don't look rotten just like black tar stain.  Another lamb had very slight discolouration so might be normal and nothing to do with what's going on.

I am probably just being paranoid and there is nothing wrong. It's so difficult to tell sometimes. Will keep an eye on him for now. I don't think he had antibiotics but I will check back.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS