Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oxford Sandy & Black piglets arriving  (Read 6795 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Oxford Sandy & Black piglets arriving
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 10:08:05 pm »
Yes Pete - that's the one, thanks for posting the link (my right button on my mouse has stopped working and it's making cut and paste impossible  ::))
There are some REALLY bad and awful ones on youtube - not good at all  :'( But this lady explains it all really well I thought, better than I would have and without 4 mental kids in the background  ;)
Karen  :wave:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 10:48:02 am »
The You Tube video is really informative and helpful - the best one I've ever seen.   Thanks for letting us know about it.   Apart from the cutting bit, do you agree with her theory about not putting any antiseptic on as it makes them sting and rub their back ends? 
Poppy's piglets are adorable, beautiful colours - are those the ones you thought were going to arrive much earlier, but the date turned out to be mistaken?    Tamsaddle

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 11:46:46 am »
We do put antiseptic spray on (just to guard against infection) the Large Black piglets and all of the cross breed piglets we've castrated don't seem up nor down with a wee squirt. BUT the pure OSB's didn't like it much - they did run their bums for a minute. They're all fine (though a bit wary) this morning though  :thumbsup:

Poppy delivered right on time  ;) She was away visiting a boar, so a much smaller window of opportunity/error  :innocent:
We're still waiting for the Kunekunes to farrow - though hopefully not for much longer  ;D
This week or next week  :fc:
Karen  :wave:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 11:57:43 am »
Thanks and good luck with the KK farrowing.   By the way, now that that other post has been locked down, I too am mightily relieved you haven't disappeared from TAS - your advice and knowledge is second to none - Tamsaddle

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 12:07:24 pm »
Thanks too HH & P6te - an excellent video. We have been taught this way to castrate - less stressful than catching them all and taking to vet.

Lovely OSBs  :love:

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 12:32:50 pm »
Thanks everyone for your comments  :-*

Now, all I need is for this blinking rain to stop for a couple of days so I can get their arcs moved and get them all out into the field  :-\ At this rate they're gonna need flippers  ::)  ;D

Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 11:43:45 pm »
the method shown in this vid is ILLEGAL in the UK       that is tearing not cutting   and the scalpel does not look sharp by the stabbing method used :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 07:49:24 am »
Polished arrow - there's a good vid on youtube (and many, many awful ones !) look for the american lady & the Tamworth piglets  ;) The only difference is they still do a 'tearing of the tissues' which we don't (against welfare regs  :() We cut instead - but apart from that it's a good introduction.
Which is why I said this when I mentioned it originally  :innocent:

robert waddell

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 08:03:16 am »
just bumping the point up better two people posting with the same view is it not :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS