Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bliss  (Read 2798 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Bliss
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:23:55 am »
Oh bliss, mother in law sent me a food parcel from Germany ,and included 2 kg of Dalmayer coffee from Munich, best you can get. so I just made a pot and took my first sip, now THATS coffee, Magic stuff.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Bliss
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:34:35 am »
Oh you are so right! ;D

Even though I have lived in Britain now for over 20 years, I still have a long list of foods that my parents have to bring over when they come to visit - fortunately they are still able to come by car!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:45:26 am »
Careful, you'll get us all adding things to your lists  :D

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:57:44 am »
She also sent me chocolate , yes, Gabi got bread, she misses the German breads, you know the sort that you have to cut with a butcher's bandsaw because it breaks knives and bends chissells,
Tesco's bread department sometimes has the propper salted pretzen , I like them.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:55:03 am »
Looks like I'm not the only German on this forum, then... ;D

Coffee, yes. And bread. I used to make my own (although there is one very good baker in Aberdeen - Newton Dee, the Camphill bakery), but I think I'm bread intolerant, unfortunately, so I'm not eating any at the moment.  :-[

Another thing I miss is Harzkaese. Ha! You don't know what you're missing... Stinky cheese, which unfortunately nobody has been brave enough to send by post!

Just recently I saw a newish cafe in Inverurie, called Kaffeehaus (for the natives, that's "coffee house" in English  ;) ). It's an expression I relate to Austrian coffee houses more than German - but anyway, I expected something at least slightly Continental. Nada. Bog standard Scottish menu, and American type horrible coffees (latte, Americano etc.). Why give it a German name then? That's misleading potential customers! (But I admit that in Germany lots of things are given English names, for no apparent reason...)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 11:06:42 am »
Ina & Anke, found this for you, use someone elses credit card though.... :innocent:

https://www.germandeli.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=154ff94c66e2e53/shopdata/index.shopscript

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 11:13:20 am »
i like the sound of that coffee, being a coffee addict i will have to try some! bl..dy pricey tho!! hellish :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 11:14:00 am »
OMG - Harzer Käse.... I am drooling over my keyboard... but I don't know if any Brits know what they are missing  :-J  - my OH doesn't like it...

I have made another start on making my own sourdough, it tastes fairly similarly to the bread I was used to as a child...

Actually for some things Lidl is quite good - although I wouldn't inlcude coffee in that.

Tizaala - I am not even going to look at the website.... :innocent:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:19:28 am »
Anke , if you ever get a chance you must visit the Dalmayer Emporium in Munich. the most incredible shop, when you step inside the door and take in that glorious arroma of coffee , and get dazzled by the display cabinetts of wood , glass and brass, you don't want to leave.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 11:23:28 am »
I'm waiting for Lidl to start selling proper "Quark". Actually, that's the only thing I buy at Tesco's...

tizaala:Ina & Anke, found this for you, use someone elses credit card though....  https://www.germandeli.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=154ff94c66e2e53/shopdata/index.shopscript

Nooooo - don't tempt me!  :D

Actually, there's not much I miss here.

Anke, I sometimes used the breadmix from Lidl as a kind of starter for sourdough bread (when I didn't have a starter ready). I find it far too salty, though; so if you just use half of the mix, plus half wholemeal flour (wheat or rye), and then leave it not the one hour is says on the packet, but at least 24 hours, it tastes fine, I think. And it came out nicest baked in a clay flower pot. But - it's far too nice. I eat too much of it - better I don't make it at all...  :'(

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
Right!! we are coming for coffee when we pick the kids up!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 10:23:33 pm »
LIke the sound of the stinky cheese.  :yum:

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 08:01:14 am »
LIke the sound of the stinky cheese.  :yum:

And it's very low fat, so you can eat an entire packet without feeling bad about it!  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS