Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What kit should I look at?  (Read 10872 times)

Impossible Mission

• Joined Jul 2012
What kit should I look at?
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:11:08 pm »
Hi all

I have 17 acres of land split into 4 sections, part garden with trees, part field(used for haymaking by a local farmer) a small paddock and an orchard, very susceptible to nettles and thistles.

I would like to buy a small tractor so that I can attach tools to it to mow, cut hedges, and maybe dig a little.

I have no idea where to start or what I really need, and don't really know what attachments I can obtain, do you need a certain horsepower to run types of attachments? How do they attach to the tractor, and can you attach any attachment to any tractor?

Did I say I had no idea? Lol

Any help great fully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Re: What kit should I look at?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:12:36 pm »
that is a very big question..........

Three choices really - dependant on the budget..........

1) Brand new tractor and implements
2) Old tractor and implements
3) Compact tractor and implements

The benifits of 1 & 2 is that all the equipment you can pick up at Agri auctions etc will fit (if the HP is big enough)

Compact tractors need dedicated compact implements.

For mowing you either need a Topper or a flail mower dependant on the starting condition and the finish you need, or a gang mower for large lawn areas.

"Digging" you need a Plough and power harrow or a rotavator

Hedge cutting you need a flail cutter - some will suggest a finger mower, but personally I would steer clear.

For weed control you need a sprayer.

They all attach to the back of the tractor on a 3 point hitch and the ones that need power get this from a Power take off shaft (PTO) from the back of the tractor.

For our 20 acres I just about manage with 70Hp - but it is a push when ploughing

Speak to some local farmers and they will advise you what to get based on what you actually need to do.
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:32:01 pm »
  Ask a farmer!!!  You will go crazy looking at all that is on the market nowadays , from quads with stuff to Chinese DIYjobs, they all have disadvantages and advantages. Ask a farmer what he would get if he had your land and what you are wanting to do with it. We ended up with an old Fergie to do up ( my OH is a trained HGV mechanic in his pre life) and bought the attatchments we needed via friends who knew we were on the look out. You may have great plans but the reality is very different, there is no point in buying new when you will use something once a year, we have our own hay making gear cause you need to go with the weather not when the gear is free but such as a hedge trimmer you may barter the work for something else. It is amazing what farmers have tucked away that they dont use anymore that may do perfectly for your needs. So be nice and ask around!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:35:10 pm »
We got a classic but not vintage (a lot cheaper and has the power to do tasks) 1976 John Deere 75hp and with that we have done everything. Havent tried ploughing yet but have just acquired a wee (2 furrow reversible) plough, I wouldnt go for anything much bigger with our HP.
I would recommend a normal size tractor for your acreage, drive you mad doing it all with a compact and the attachments can be more expensive or harder to find secondhand for them.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:42:33 pm »
A lot depends on your budget.

You buy a tractor and topper. You top your grass/weeds and thats it (unless you top twice). You have laid out and tied up whatever you spent on those 2 items and they will be sitting in a shed/barn untill next year.

If you gear up to cut and bale your own hay your talking serious money for a mower/tedder,baler sledge and trailer.

I have about the same amount of acreage here and I bought a Case 695 (ex Surrey CC) a 6ft Fleming topper and tied up around £5k.
In as much as it's handy having a tractor, with fuel now around 70p a ltr It's cheaper to get someone in to do it.

A friend of mine has a compact tractor and it was a lot more expencive than mine and it's about as much good as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:46:00 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 10:44:31 pm »
From what I have heard of the compacts they are ok on the flat levelling out menages!! putting any pressure on them or a slope and they will be over. I personally would not trust one but I may have just heard the bad sides.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:03 am »
lots of advice already       but you sound like a machinery salesmans dream     it depends on your budget and if you are prepared to spend thousands on an item that is used once a year  or buy scrap that still costs a fortune to rebuild and maintain
it is all good and well seeing a man on a tractor and thinking i can do that yes it is simple to someone that is capable and does it day in day out    only you know your skills at repairing old machines or if you have any experience at farming/smallholding
but if you are determined to get a fleet of machines the first requirement is a tractor   the old grey fergie was the mainstay of farming at one time and had a complete range of machines that would fit and work properly   again if you have the money get a big tractor  but i could be totally usesless
i have a 35 horsepower international and it can drive a 9 foot topper(i have had a 150 horsepower tractor on it and the power boost was on all the time)   all things are relevant big =more money and fuel and more to go wrong  small takes a bit longer and does not cost a fortune
hedging there is only one farmer i know that has a hedger all the rest get a contractor in to cut them  and if you lack the skills you will make a mess of that hedge also good hedgers cost £10000-£20000 and require a big 4 wheel drive tractor for stability
start with a small tractor a proper tractor not these Micky mouse efforts and as your need increases trade it for a larger one and your skill develops with your purchases as you need them :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:53:52 am »
old grey fergies are lovely but round here they go for a mint as the old boys like doing shows with them or ploughing matches etc, so cheaper and more power in something old but not as sought after.

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 11:03:11 am »
internationals are still cheap 275/276 or 414/434    the 614  is rarer and bits especially new for the engines is very hard to come by   and they don't sell that well on flea bag for some reason :farmer:

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 11:41:27 am »
Our first acquisition was a grey fergie which pulled a trailer around but we soon found out that, because of the live pto drive, that it wasn't suitable for pulling balers/mowers. We find it very useful in the forestry as it is light and easy to get in and out.
We then got an International 276 which copes with the baler, mower and haybob. It'd also got a bucket on the front which is very useful.
We chose to buy all our haymaking equipment as we thought it was the only thing we couldn't expect a contractor to stop by and make our hay.
The only other bit of equipment we have and use is a Howard selectatilthe rotovator - again the IH is the power source.
In hindsight I think we should have bought a newer (older type) tractor - without the computers....! as we spend time and money keeping the two tractors working.

The Fergie is out of action at the moment due to a split distributor cap.....

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 06:36:05 pm »
Our John  Deere was fully restored but was cheaper because (i) it is 2wd not 4wd and (ii) it doesnt have a cab, just a rollbar.
But since our fields arent very steep and we realised if it was peeing with rain we would probably go indoors until it wasnt, it was fine for us!
So to get what you want within sensible budget (we also needed haymaking equipment as most commercial contractors use large round bales and we needed small conventional ones, plus the weather window can be short up here) , it can be a question of deciding what you need and what you can live without.
Ours has a standard PTO and came with a Quicke loader which we use a lot, also a bucket with prongs so we can lift large round bales if needed, and a couple of wagons and a haybob. We bought the baler separately, another haybob for spares and a hay mower.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 02:44:39 pm »
Even if you have a huge budget don't take a run at this because it's all about compromises. 

- Big farm kit won't go through small gateways and will be a pain in smaller fields. 
- Big toys are heavy but have more power. 
- Do you need 4wd?
- Do you want reliability or a hobby?

Everyone on this forum will have different views depending on their skills, their land, their ambitions and how bad their back is
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Drummournie

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cawdor - Nairnshire
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 09:09:04 pm »
SFS has a very good point, its a huge question really.

It might only be my opinion but I have a simpler problem, 10 acres and all grass but I have ended up with a 1955 TEF 20 Fergie ( lovely old thing), a flemming topper for the grass ( low cost) and just looking for a transport or link box to help lug stuck about.

The little fergie goes everywhere I need without being too large, but i appreciate its not the solution for everyone.
The compact tractor market seemed very confused to me with success in the one you buy being dependent on the dealer being able to support you instead of the brand you choose.

Hope you sort it out!

montana

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 09:13:00 pm »
We bought a David Brown 885N at auction for £1800. It had a front loader and back akter although its agreat little tractor in hindsight I would hace bought a bigger 4 wheel drive beast. My friend has a 100hp case and im lucky enough that he comes over and does the jobs that our DB cant manage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS