Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cat proofing fruit bushes?  (Read 3453 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Cat proofing fruit bushes?
« on: July 15, 2012, 12:50:08 pm »
Well I had been wondering why my gooseberries were all over the floor and had been blaming the wind. This morning I saw my cat who likes to tear apart cardboard boxes grabbing branches and shaking and ripping *sigh*  ::) Bush is only a year old so can't really take the hammering she is giving it.

Has anyone with cats have a tried and tested way to keep the bushes protected? Saw a netted cage in Dobbies the other day but it looks very flimsey. Not sure it would stand up to my dragon dog monster cat!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Cat proofing fruit bushes?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:27:18 pm »
You can always try strong citrus peelings, most cats hate the smell, a small mesh fence around it is the only other thing if your cat is damaging further up  :fc:

Hopefully some better advice will be along soon

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:39:29 pm »
Hi
It may help if you plant some catmint within 6 ft of your bushes - Most cats will find this much more appealing, just make sure that you get a good size plant to start with!     You may also want to consider this when you put your christmas tree up this year   ;D
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:42:54 pm »
Thanks

Will give the cat mint a try. I did buy a small plant but they killed it with love!

Will also give the mesh a try.

It's a good job she looks so cute when she sleeps!

Dans

9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS