Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick of this bl**dy weather  (Read 6545 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Sick of this bl**dy weather
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 10:12:03 pm »
I am holding my nerve re our hay crop - we didnt do it til mid Aug last year due to weather/OHs work schedule and it was great stuff so hoping we will still get ours. Im less worried about it being rich, our Shetland sheep love it whenever its made and it fills their tummies.
I have probably 25-30 bales of last years if it all goes pear shaped to help but would still have to buy in.
But it is becoming depressing, esp up here where the summer is short anyway so we do need it to be nice to carry us through the long long dark winter....

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 11:56:07 pm »
We're still in drought condition here, at least there's still a hosepipe ban!  You gotta laugh sometimes
WHAT  :o  I'm guessing you ARE getting some of this rain - or are you all too naughty down your way SF ;) ;D
We've had plenty of rain.  Our rainwater tanks are full and the grass is growing way faster than the sheep can eat it.  But Veolia gets its water from underground aquifers which don't fill as well in summer as winter - when there was sod-all rain. 
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 10:32:58 am »
Just read this on British farming forum....amazing... :o :o (though a photo to back it up would have been good)

A freind of mine only has 3 sheep all wenslydale cross and full of wool, set of to clip them at the weekend and one had an oak tree growing out of its back. Granted it had only just germinated and only had two leaves but it had made a big sore on its back and the acorn shell was still matted into the wool. I know its been wet but i have never heard of anything like this before, he was so upset at the mess the poor sheep was in he didnt get any photos but it takes some beliving.
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 11:07:41 am »
Thursday will bring the risk of more cloudbursts, but there should also be some brighter spells, and in the sunshine temperatures will rise rapidly, perhaps reaching a very humid 24C (75F) in one or two places. On Friday the weather will take a turn for the worse across much of Britain, but particularly in northern and western regions where heavy outbreaks of rain will develop. The worst of the wet weather looks set to be in the north where there could be further flooding, but parts of the south look like missing most of the rain. Lots of festivals and outdoor events are taking place at this time of year, its not good and not getting eney better we have 7 weeks left in scotland then all dawn hill.

kitchen cottage

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 10:00:09 pm »
Totally fed up.  3 inches of rain standing.  The heavens opened and the land is a swimming pool.  The sheep shelter under trees, but I'm going to have to make them a shelter.  Miserable 'orrible weather  :(

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 06:08:10 pm »
Water table now so high we have springs popping out of the hillside  :o - but at least we are on the hill and not in the valley where our friend has just moved his cabinet making workshop into an old barn - beside a watermill - you can guess :( :( - 4 ft deep in water.  He was so pleased to be restoring the mill, it puts our problems into perspective.  At least the hay will grow again, it is already 6 inches high, 3 weeks after cutting.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »
now this is WET

blatently stolen off  karen (HH)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:17:50 pm by tizaala »

HappyHippy

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:45 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS