Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: preserving veg  (Read 2087 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
preserving veg
« on: July 20, 2012, 03:21:20 pm »
Hi there, bought a new house at xmas and finally have a good greenhouse and big veg plot. The result is a glut of veg. I am familiar with storing most but I'm a bit stuck with my cabbage et9. I have red and green cabbage (which has not hearted up so not sure it will be good for pickling) and also curly kale and brocolli. I was thinking of washing, vac packing and freezing but not sure how well cabbage would freeze. Anyone else got ideas/recipes for brassacas?

Simon O

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Bonkle
Re: preserving veg
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:34:32 pm »
I'd love to make sauerkraut but I am frightened  :-[

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:18:37 pm »
We freeze braised red cabbage and it lasts really well. Always good for big bowls of coleslaw too. Broccoli freezes very well, split into florets then blanched and cooled.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:27:06 am »
We are overrun with curly kale and broccoli this year (OH got bit too enthusiastic!).  Broccoli, as Dan says, freezes well and I make broccoli and stilton soup for the freezer too.  A few days ago we googled recipes for curly kale as there is only so much you can eat with the main meal of the day!  We found the usual soup and not a great deal else.  A friend of mine suggested crisping up like crispy seaweed and storing in airtight container.  Haven't tried that yet though but its worth a go.  Perhaps your other option could be to swap shop your excess with other local growers.
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:20:16 am »
We too have a cabbage glut........and process it like this..

clean heads discarding damaged/outer leaves...soak to get rid of bugs....1/4 ...leaving stalk/heart in place otherwise it will disintegrate ::) ....blanch couple of minutes....cool...drain...and vac into usable portions...
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS