Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerels separated - now what....  (Read 1827 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Cockerels separated - now what....
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:14:58 am »
We have just separated our three cockerels from the rest of the flock and plan to limit their living space a little (10 sqaure metres of grass each) and feed them up before the broomstick (thanks Jaykay - we'll give this a try)

Any suggestions on what we should feed them aside from growers pellets? Lots of corn? Any other tasty bites?  ;D

Thanks
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Cockerels separated - now what....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 12:29:31 pm »
Our cockerels that went into the pot, continued to live with the flock and so had the same diet - layers pellets and corn.

There was a thread not too long ago about feeding birds destined for the table and I think the general feeling was to swap to a grain based diet - more natural. Don't know how you find it on here ..... there must be a way  ::)   ;D  Do I remember correctly that Castle Farm's website is a good one for this kind of thing. ???

Think you can get fattening pellets.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:53:10 pm »
Thanks ITH. I'll look it up

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:46:39 pm »
Suzie Q - how old are yours and were yours cockadoodling? or how did you know.  My LIght sussex/Marran are 7 weeks old now ad I still havnt got a clue - I'm sure tha last lot were scrapping by now!  Dare I hope they are all hens?  (Mind you I am relying on some for meat) .  It was a great thread on life without layers pellets.  Mine are on Growers and mixed corn at the mo.  Confused about just how much free ranging they need to do if I move to just mixed corn (re protein and minerals), and just how much to allow if I want tender meat - that balance betweeen happy birds and tasty meat...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 02:32:28 pm »
Perhaps I was just lucky. We have only eaten one batch of ours. RIRs x Friesian Fowl ..... not intended for the pot but a hedgerow hatch that had to be dealt with. Just treated like the rest of the flock .... layers, corn and full time free range over a couple of acres. Dispatched at around 5 months old. Okay, not lots of meat but with a Friesian in there you wouldn't expect huge birds. The meat was lovely ... tender and juicy ... and made 2 meals for 3 people (albeit not big meat eaters).

I suppose it depends if you only have a few birds to deal with or a big batch as it were. If only a few maybe its not worth making too many special arrangements.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:37:24 pm »
There was a thread not too long ago about feeding birds destined for the table and I think the general feeling was to swap to a grain based diet - more natural. Don't know how you find it on here ..... there must be a way  ::)   ;D 

At last....... on page 15  :o

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=23524.0

....with me saying " I will be watching this thread with  interest...." well that didn't last long  :D ::)

Thanks  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS