Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - sudden death of lamb  (Read 3753 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Help - sudden death of lamb
« on: July 01, 2012, 04:39:55 pm »
Hi there,

We have been bottle feeding a lamb. His mother would not feed him so we took over. He has been having between 4 and 6 feeds (500ml) of lamlac a day depending on how hungry he was. He had his heptovac jab (first one) on Friday and he is about 6 weeks old.
We went away for the day yesterday and came back at lunchtime. Our housemate said he was fed yesterday and twice today so he was due another feed about 4pm. He started to baa about 3.30 so we went to get his bottle for his 4pm feed only to find him dead by 4.15pm went we went out.
Can anyone shed some light on to why he might have died? Could it have been the vaccination? could it have been something to do with our housemate feeding him wrongly. It is so upsetting because we were aiming to keep him to be a friend to our ram.
WE are now really worried about the other lambs as we vaccinated all of them (some their second booster and some their first jab). Any advice welcome. Thanks. Pip

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Help - sudden death of lamb
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 04:51:11 pm »
Only a full autopsy will give you the answer to your sad loss. :bouquet:

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:54:02 pm »
does anyone know of a good video/tutorial on what to look for in an autopsy. Is it legal to do it ourselves? I am worried about the warm weather/flies etc and I cannot take him to the hunt today or tommorrow as on the road for work.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 05:24:00 pm »
 :bouquet:  So sorry

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:33:59 pm »
just found the other string on lamb deaths. Trying to find some answers... :-(

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:32 pm »
does anyone know of a good video/tutorial on what to look for in an autopsy. Is it legal to do it ourselves? I am worried about the warm weather/flies etc and I cannot take him to the hunt today or tommorrow as on the road for work.

I see no reason not to have a rummage, as long as all "bits" are disposed of normally.
I've been present at a very basic post mortem - essentially everything should look normal, so liver like what you'd see on the butcher's counter; tissues pink without lumps, scars, blotches etc. The vet cut across the liver several times and opened it out to look for fluke - though they are only visible at certain stages of growth. I'm sure Youtube can provide....

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 06:07:26 pm »
Thanks - he was our favourite so will have to be very brave but have to think of the others. Found a very helpful guide on the net so I will give it a go. If I find anything wierd, I'll take it to the vet.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 06:10:45 pm »
It may help to cover his head so it becomes less personal and more "lump of meat" if you'll forgive the phrase?
Would you mind linking to the guide you found? I'm curious  :farmer:

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 06:47:59 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS