Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I did it !  (Read 3078 times)

HappyHippy

I did it !
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:15:36 am »
I have 3 and a half loafs of soap curing as I type  ;D  and didn't blow myself up in the process  :thumbsup:
Oh, and it's 3 and a half because my plan of colouring some soap to swirl through another colour didn't work  ::)  beetroot powder made my soap a nice puce colour  :P  (thinking I should have mixed it with hot oil first  ::) )
So I have a plain one with no colour or fragrance in it at all, a lavender and bergamot one with lavender flowers through it, a cinnamon and neroli one and the 'half' one with poppy seeds and 'shimmer' scent. Now all I have to do is wait forever for them to cure (or 3 - 8 weeks, but it's gonna feel like forever  :innocent: )

Thanks to everyone for your support - made me feel extra brave  :-*
Karen  :wave:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: I did it !
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:51:41 am »
Sounds interesting. You must let us know when you get to try them
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 02:22:45 pm »
 :thumbsup:  well done Missis!! xxx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 02:33:22 pm »
Made you feel extra brave and extremely clean I should think!  Well done HH!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 02:56:59 pm »
Thanks everyone  :thumbsup:
Once they've cured and I try them to see how they are I will be looking for willing testers for feedback, so if anyone is interested please pm me your address and I'll get some in the post once they are ready  :wave:
Karen x

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 04:57:07 pm »
Oh well done!  :thumbsup: I'm dying to try it too, when I get 5 minutes  ::)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 06:47:49 pm »
Thanks everyone  :thumbsup:
Once they've cured and I try them to see how they are I will be looking for willing testers for feedback, so if anyone is interested please pm me your address and I'll get some in the post once they are ready  :wave:
Karen x

oi hippy, we'll test any that need testing :-)

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 07:07:22 pm »
So addictive is this soap making malarky that I've been at it again  :innocent: ;D
I'm trying a different base recipe and attempting some swirly bits  :fc:  So this one comes in plain, lavander, pink patchouli and a (hopefully) swirly tea tree and menthol one - the house smells almost as good as it does when I make candles  :D 

Jaykay - it is quite straight forward as long as you measure/weigh everything exactly and just follow the instructions (there are LOADS of youtube videos) but I'm still mixing the lye outside, just to be on the safe side  ;) Keep your gloves on throughout too - splashes nip but vinegar stops the nip. The first batch took a wee while, but this one only took about 90 minutes (I think it'll be much quicker once I get a stick blender)

Bloomer - I'll keep some for you  :thumbsup:
Karen x

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 09:29:59 pm »
Hurray, well done  :thumbsup:

Especially like the sound of lavender and bergamot  :love:

Mel

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:40:11 pm »
Lavender is my fav ;D :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 09:22:12 pm »
Ooh sound lovely. Well done.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS