Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ear tag suggestions?  (Read 3482 times)

goatlover

• Joined Jul 2011
ear tag suggestions?
« on: July 02, 2012, 07:47:01 pm »
we are looking to sell some of our kids over the coming months, as newbies, I was wondering which ear tags to buy. Has anyone got any advice about ear tags? any preferred suppliers? Thanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: ear tag suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 08:06:04 pm »
Whichever ones you get make sure they are the swivel type, of two separate bits. If you are going to keep quite a few goats and plan long term I would think seriously about a tattoo kit. It is legal for goats to have one ear tag and a tattoo (herdnumber one ear, individual number other ear). Makes it also a lot safer re loss/stealing if these are pedigree animals.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:13:49 pm »
great idea - where can I get a tattoo kit and will the screams of the goats be louder when tattooing than when eartagging? ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:32:02 pm »
Just google ear tattoo plier for sheep. I think Dalton's (tags4U), Fearings and Ketchum's do them. I am going for the 7mm, 6 characters in a line (for herd number), I think it's Fearings.
They will probably scream, but at least a tattoo cannot be ripped out. saw a goatling with a stitched up ear at a show recently, not a nice sight... I also took out one of kids' tags as it got infected...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:21:13 pm »
I agree, I use Rototags, which swivel as Anke says and the electronic ones aren't too big.
I get mine from Dalton.

Have never tattooed though can see the advantages if your goats are valuable.

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:56:02 pm »
I too use Dalton, they are really helpful and the Rototags arent too big for the kids ears.

:thumbsup:

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:34:40 pm »
dont use the big round ones, they weigh so much the poor kids cant lift their ears.

:wave:

chickenfeed

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 09:03:46 am »
if you go down the tattoo route make sure the tattoo is self release the ones we use are no longer in production but they work on a spring action.
the goat will yell but no more than a ear tag the mark is there forever no risk of loosing its mark.
when using we always tattoo with no ink on the ear or needles then if any mistakes are made you can let the ear heal and do it again once healed.
step 1 use tattoo pliers to make the mark
step 2 rub in the tattoo paste/ink making sure you get a good covering and give a quick massage to the ear.
they will be inked up well so best not do this just before a show  ;D

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 12:36:38 pm »
Used to dread tattoeing,masses if nails stuck in the ear,crunch,scream,blood,then you had to make it worse by rubbing the ink in....and after all that it still faded and couldn't be read after a few years!
   Unfortunately the taggs I used to use aren't available any more so, as I've had to had to order another load because you now have to do both ears and the other lot are wasted,I've had to go for the button ones which I hate because they are more likely to catch (only goat I've ever had in with a torn ear had button tag)The small ones are useless as they just come out.
   I always dip the points in Aloe Vera to prevent infection
And sod the rules mine don't get done till their ears are ready for it!

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 01:03:27 pm »
Used to dread tattoeing,masses if nails stuck in the ear,crunch,scream,blood,then you had to make it worse by rubbing the ink in....and after all that it still faded and couldn't be read after a few years!
   Unfortunately the taggs I used to use aren't available any more so, as I've had to had to order another load because you now have to do both ears and the other lot are wasted,I've had to go for the button ones which I hate because they are more likely to catch (only goat I've ever had in with a torn ear had button tag)The small ones are useless as they just come out.
   I always dip the points in Aloe Vera to prevent infection
And sod the rules mine don't get done till their ears are ready for it!

if the ink is a good quality it should always be visable throughout a goats life some of mums have lived to 14 - 15 years and the tattoo is still readable, i agree the crunch scream bit is not nice but i have never seen much blood over the 30+ years i have been helping in that department  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS