Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horseflies  (Read 3471 times)

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
Horseflies
« on: July 26, 2012, 01:23:50 pm »
I rode early this morning to try to avoid the dreaded horseflies but even at 8 am on the way home we were both bitten. Typical. it is either too windy, too wet, too icy or the flies get you.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Horseflies
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:17:31 pm »
well I don't have horses but seem to get bitten every day, even though my t-shirt.  They are nasty b*****s
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:54:13 pm »
This is our first year with a real problem of horse flies.  We have had a few in the past but not to this extent.  All horses fly-rugged up but they even bite through.  They seem to favour one of our horses so much that she is now totally fine with being slapped by a flat hand to eliminate said flies.  In fact she now shows us where the blighter is.  At the moment I am sporting a beauty of a bite on my elbow and antihistamines are not touching it.  Good old fashioned calamine lotion is doing the trick.  :)
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 06:18:46 pm »
Never thought of calomine lotion. I am currently using germaline but it isn't doing much.
Sally

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:24:25 pm »
I have heard that Avon Skin So Soft is used by riders on their horses and sometimes it works.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:54:35 am »
A repellant, lavender oil or citronella might work. Get the essential oil and dilute with veg oil, wipe on with a cloth.
As children we would push bracken fronds and tansy under brow bands, also bruise tansy and wipe it over the pony. Did it work? I can't remember ::) ::)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 12:50:10 pm »
Avon Skin So Soft is sold in an outdoor shop called Nevis Sports in Fort William purely as a midge and fly repellent. I use it and it works for me but I don't like the smell of it.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:48:20 am »
The repellents don't seem to work on these blighters. Apparently the home in on the heat of the horse, or person like heat seeking missiles. Calomine might help with the after effects thanks luckylady. Also as you say, the fly rugs do seem to work but I cant afford for all of mine. 

This rain has slowed them down a bit!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 08:55:46 am »
I bought some calomine after Lucklady's suggestion and it does seem to take the itch out.
thanks LL
Sally

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »
You can't beat a dab of good old fashioned calamine lotion can you?  It always reminds me of my childhood when me, my 3 siblings plus the 3 children who were staying with us all had chickenpox.  Seven kiddies queueing up to get dabbed with pink calamine lotion before bed.  Ahhh memories!  :)
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:33:41 am »
For the past 12 years I have used cold pressed Neem to repel all types of bugs.  You can get it in other forms too now, e.g. shampoo, sprays etc.  It is natural, smells like gravy and is fabulous!  It is excellent for keeping flies away from minor cuts and for treating sweetich.  If you use it before the midgies bit you will eliminate sweetich.  It is the only fly repellent I use and it does all the jobs in one.  I cannot recommend it enough.  Give it a try - you won't be disappointed.  I always buy it in the cold pressed natural form.  You keep it in the fridge and it stays hard like a wax.  Once you put it on your fingers the heat turns it to liquid.
Eeyore.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 10:24:51 pm »
Eeyore - may get that as just had our first taste of horse flies today - little ba*****s!

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 10:41:24 pm »
The last time I bought my supply was from a company called - www.neemgenie.co.uk  - I hope it is ok to recommend compannies on this site.  They are really fast at delivering and the best price per cold pressed.  They do lots of other neem products e.g. neem shampoo, neem leaf capsuls....  There are lots of other companies out there that do neem.  I purchased from this company a couple of months ago so there may be others that are cheaper now.
I really cannot recommend it enough.  All flies don't like it - they never land where the neem is placed.  It is anti-septic, anti-fungal, and it is natural.
Eeyore.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS