Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram Fleece v Ewe Fleece  (Read 2487 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Ram Fleece v Ewe Fleece
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:18:35 pm »
Another fleece question - it is that time of year - I sold 6 of my Castlemilk fleeces last week and the lady specified she did not want male fleeces - is this just a personal thing?

What I was asking really is a good quality ewe fleece always better than male or is that rubbish?

I understand first shear is the best fleece so say that was 9 pts out of 10 but do things go very downhill from there?
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Ram Fleece v Ewe Fleece
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:47:47 pm »
The best fleece - depending on what you mean by 'best' - is from wethers, at least for about 7 years.  The reason most people don't want tup fleece is because it's well-nigh impossible to get rid of the tuppy smell, especially if you get caught in a shower wearing your tups coat  :P
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:53:50 pm »
Thanks again FW - I know what fleeces to use in my trial project then  ;D ;D
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:50:07 pm »
My moorit Shetland wether certainly produces our best fleece, it is a thing of Beauty. It helped save him from the chop too so I hope he is proud of it, he gets to be a ram companion instead!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS