Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs to market  (Read 8814 times)

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
Re: Lambs to market
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 07:51:14 am »
Thanks feldar ;)    (i'm his OH :-[    for my sins)

we tried Llanwenogs too but he's not so keen on them   they've produced fine looking  but somewhat smaller lambs    not yet ready for market   we're hoping to take a couple of the Lleyn/Hamp crosses for killing shortly so will be interesting to see just what their conformation is  :thumbsup:

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 09:31:26 am »
  we're hoping to take a couple of the Lleyn/Hamp crosses for killing shortly so will be interesting to see just what their conformation is  :thumbsup:

You will only get feedback on conformation grades if you sell direct to the abattoir.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 09:58:38 am »
  we're hoping to take a couple of the Lleyn/Hamp crosses for killing shortly so will be interesting to see just what their conformation is  :thumbsup:

You will only get feedback on conformation grades if you sell direct to the abattoir.
Dot's right, of course - but if you get yourself to the Eblex demo, they'll give you tips about where and how to look to get a good idea of what you've got. :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 07:06:49 pm »

But wasn't the post saying that they were taking them for killing for themselves? My abbotoir will give me grades if I ask them nicely....

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 09:15:39 am »
Thanks feldar ;)    (i'm his OH :-[    for my sins)

we tried Llanwenogs too but he's not so keen on them   they've produced fine looking  but somewhat smaller lambs    not yet ready for market   we're hoping to take a couple of the Lleyn/Hamp crosses for killing shortly so will be interesting to see just what their conformation is  :thumbsup:
We cross with llanwenog too, then put the hamp back onto the F1  Llanwenog x Hampshire ewe,
This gives a very meaty cross wich is faster finishing but has the good Llanwenog traits too

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 09:54:35 pm »

But wasn't the post saying that they were taking them for killing for themselves? My abbotoir will give me grades if I ask them nicely....

The title of the thread made me think these lambs were going to market???
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 07:13:33 am »
VSS   they had been to market   but we are due to take some for killing too   and the abattoir will give a report :wave:

We took more yesterday  and did better    :thumbsup:

The auctioneer came for a chat and said they were indeed cracking lambs   well done   and to keep at it...which was encouraging...excellent conformation...etc   and that this is  a very tough market....he also commented that looking at last weeks entry he had expected them to top the market   but conceded they were a little lean when it came to it.. :)
We've learnt a bit more  and can't be unhappy :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 11:30:09 am »
Sounds like you're doing a grand job.  Well done. :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS