Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New arrivals and quarantining  (Read 2850 times)

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
New arrivals and quarantining
« on: July 05, 2012, 02:04:22 pm »
I have bought 4 Ryeland ewes which are arriving on Sunday.  I currently own 28 sheep and 31 lambs which are commercial crosses mainly Charolais.
I have been resting a field for the Ryeland ewes and they will be wormed on arrival.  How long should I keep them separate from my other sheep?  Would two weeks be long enough or would you suggest a longer period of time?
Thank you.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: New arrivals and quarantining
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 04:28:38 pm »
I would think that three weeks would give time for just about everything to show up.

Any other votes?  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 04:39:20 pm »
I say three too.... mainly because vets usually say take in a poop sample three weeks after any treatment so I guess that may be the golden-time-rule for any nasties to rear their ugly head.
p.s good to see another Charollias X lover on here  :P
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:16:09 pm »
Seems about right, but I'd insist the vendor wormed them before transport, its fairly usual practice. I eant their sheep, not their worms.

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:19:37 pm »
Thank you.  I will do 3 weeks then and ask him to worm them first.  I am planning on hiring a Ryeland ram this year, so am looking forward to seeing the Charollaisx/Ryeland lambs next spring.
I love my girls, which are mostly Charollais, the lambs grow away quickly, just look a little alien like at first.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 10:35:06 pm »
I love my girls, which are mostly Charollais, the lambs grow away quickly, just look a little alien like at first.
All lambs are beautiful!  (But BH agrees with you  >:()
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS