Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram lamb  (Read 4554 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
Ram lamb
« on: June 18, 2012, 05:46:17 pm »
I picked up a ram lamb last week to use on some Shetlands later in the year.  I was told he had proven himself 5 off 3 ewes this and was very quiet.

I got him home and all he wanted to do was lie down and he even seems to graze kneeling!  Quite wobbly on his feet actually when he walks at all.

I phoned the breeder who said he was probably sulking and that they had trimmed his feet before i arrived as they were looking overgrown!

That was a week ago and no improvement.  Question should I force it with the breeder and ask to return him and get my money back?  I can't see how he will ever manage to tup anything at this rate!

Advice gratefully received

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Ram lamb
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 06:19:53 pm »
A ram lamb cannot be proven ie have sired lambs, as he will only have been born within the past few months  ???

Sheep often graze down on their knees if they have something wrong with their feet - have you had a look at his feet?  No breeder worth his salt should be happy to sell an animal with bad feet, without treating them first, making sure they are completely healed - and then letting you know there has been a problem, so you can make an informed decision whether or not to buy.

Is he lying down because his feet are sore or because he has some other underlying condition, do you think?   I have never had a tup who sulked, let alone for a week - I think they're trying it on.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:21:54 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:22:22 pm »
Exactly - all of that! Seems someone is pulling a fast one to me  >:(

Check his feet and see if you can see any problems.

But I would be tempted to go back to the breeder, return him and ask for your money back.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:26:28 pm by jaykay »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:25:33 pm »
If he is unclipped and quite small he will probably a lamb, otherwise he would by now be called a shearling tup (as in shorn once). Also if he did well last autumn he would be sold at a ram/tup sale later this summer?

I think you are being had.... take him back quickly and get your money back. What breed is he?

If he is on his knees for a week something is wrong and you don't want to pay the vet bills to get it (maybe never?) right?

If you only have a few ewes - get a tup lamb from this spring later in the summer/early autumn and sell after he has done the deed, he should still be good enough to sell as fat.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 06:57:27 pm »
Take it back, its not fit for purpose.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:56:22 pm »
A ram is half of your flock! I would be expecting a spanking well presented pedigree ram with a micron count or at least a reccommendation that he has a very good fleece and also importantly improves fleece in his offspring as you are wanting fleece! If he has already been used I assume he is last years lamb?

Only buy the very very best ram if breeding pedigree and for fleece quality or you will regret it!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 08:34:29 pm »
Where are you. I have a field full of ram lambs who would love this job  !!

Seriously though, I agree with what has been said. If he is on his knees his feet are sore. We only see this in older ewes fortunately.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:07:43 am »
I agree, sounds really iffy. I presume he is also a Shetland? Poor thing should have been better on his feet the next day or so, but to be honest a basic foot trim would never cause that degree of lameness. If he's a ram 'lamb' his feet would no way be overgrown anyhow. He must have dreadfully sore feet to be eating on his knees and be wobbly on his pins when standing up. Have you checked them yourself? Did you get a sales receipt and pedigree certificate with him? I wouldn't ask to return him, just say you are doing so.
There are checks to carry out to ensure you are purchasing a good tup. A tup is a big investment for your flock and his conformation, fleece quality etc affect the whole of the breeding future of your flock. He needs to strongly carry characteristics of the breed in question. You need to check he has sturdy back legs as he will hopefully spend alot of time on them, is good and strong overall, good teeth, descended and healthy testicles and that he is genotyped (ie scrapie tested) and pedigree registered. These are just the basics and the breeder should have gone over these points with you. They should be severely brought up on all things but you also should have gone with some knowledge of what to look out for I'm afraid to say. Still, essentially, they have taken advantage of you. I should take him back, get your money back and go to another breeder (it's worth travelling the distance for a good tup. PM Ominpeasant. Sounds a good start to me) as you can no longer trust this one. I would also consider reporting said breeder to the Society. I hope they show some remorse at selling you this unfortunate boy.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:09:15 am by Pedwardine »

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 08:36:26 pm »
Any Shetland (or any other ram) I have ever had has never had TIME to sulk... they have always been too busy checking out the ladies and making their mark with the wethers and any other ram lambs in the field I am guessing someone has not been a reliable seller :o(
I should say take him back but I had a similar incident with 9 cade lambs I bought... hadn't been fed for 36 hours so when I got them and fed them next thing I know I had some very sick cade lambs full of bloaT...450ml of oil later and a night of worrying myself sick they recovered.  The farmer had rung their tails and testicles at nearly 4 weeks of age (DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THAT) .Everyone told me to take them back but I couldn't face taking those lovelies back to somewhere where they wouldn't be cared for. I felt the same way after they suffered worms which had obviously been in them since more or less day one untreated and then lungworm emerged as being quite apparent and finally (I hope) coccidiosis (and £139 later for the vecoxan alone!!!)... at least they got treated by me, cared for, watched over and loved. i would never take them back even though I probably should. I will get them right.
I was gutted as I have never had any illness or upset in my flock before but it has been a fast and hugely informative learning curve.
Maybe you could tell them you demand YOUR vet looks over him and that you would want reimbursement for any fees/medication or else you will report them to the Breed Society/DEFRA - he should never have been sold sick let alone having to endure a journey on top!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 10:33:40 pm »
How's the ram lamb doing - hope you managed to get things sorted out a bit - for his sake. It's so hard being new to things and trusting people and hoping they are genuine as yourself, especially when there's innocent little critters involved - keeping fingers crossed for you  :fc:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS