Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shed ideas please?  (Read 3624 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Shed ideas please?
« on: June 18, 2012, 05:22:10 pm »
Currently have 2 coops, one takes about 15 hens the other 2 or 3 (more of a broody/isolation unit!). Today the rotten floor fell out of the larger one, have managed to secure it for now using some plums-DIY but its only a matter of time, not to mention the red mite will love it (yep, been hit this year)

I want to get rid of the larger one and replace it with a shed. I have a nanny and kid goat sharing a B&Q shed with added ventilation and wondered if this could work with chickens? Would have to add nest boxes and perches I guess but that's going to be simple.
Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for using a shed like this?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Shed ideas please?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:47:49 pm »
hi plums
here is our shed
we have taken out the shelf and have the drums on the floor for nest
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.109150839201771.11946.100003205651558&type=1#!/photo.php?fbid=241819209268266&set=a.109150839201771.11946.100003205651558&type=3&theater
lino on the floor so easy to clean
Mx

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:15:17 pm »
It won't let me open the link Manian - but thank you for posting it! lino sounds like a brilliant idea  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:32:21 pm »
We have a large shed converted into two coops and a small shed. Works fairly well but is a haven for red mite. Feather dust everywhere in the shed bit is a pain as is internal nest boxes. I'm building coops now to restore the shed. But one small shed converted is fine and has the bonus of being able to stand up in it.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:56:04 pm »
I like converted sheds as hen houses ..... plenty of space and you can get in there to do whatever needs doing.

We have a converted playhouse in use at the moment.  ;D

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 08:50:05 pm »
I like converted sheds as hen houses ..... plenty of space and you can get in there to do whatever needs doing.

Me too  :D I am not buying any more coop-style houses, just too difficult to clean some of them.

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 08:57:45 pm »
Mine has had several uses over the years, workshop, goose house and now my layers shed.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 09:13:50 pm »
Mine has had several uses over the years, workshop, goose house and now my layers shed.
Now that is a shed  :trophy:

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 07:10:07 am »
Yep,I have turned my hubbys old work shed (let's face it it was never used as such!) And have 18 girls in there very happily,& it doesn't have to be a mite haven as we haven't had more than a small number of mites in 2 years.
Lino on the floor works for me too, but I diatom under it,and throw it around the place, under my nest boxes too.the nest boxes are totally removable & when I built them I Vaselines in all joints, & keep all nooks & crannies Vaseline coated.you can see the extent of your mite problem easily when they are caught there! I love my shed, so easy to work in & airy!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 07:21:01 am »
Yes, we have two sheds in service at the moment. One is a second hand B&Q 6'x4', which I put a new heavy duty floor in, mounted on 3" fence posts for skids. This is great because I can tow it anywhere I like behind the landy. The one disadvantage is that it blew over in the storms just before Christmas, leaving our turkeys temporarily homeless, but it patched up ok.

Our second shed is a large wendy house that was here when we moved. I put in a pop-hole and perches for the hens. The one notable thing here is that I installed a deep full-length plywood droppings tray under the perches, with a trap door cut into the side of the shed, at wheelbarrow height. This has proved to be fantastic for cleaning, since everything can just be scraped straight out of the side of the house and into the barrow  :thumbsup: .

HTH!

Anyhow, I hope there are some ideas in that
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:30:54 am »
 :thumbsup:   brilliant! thank you

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS