Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The snip  (Read 6605 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: The snip
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 07:52:14 am »
If you are on certain benefits, I believe that the Dogs Trust will do for £30 & PDSA treat animals (I don't know about the snip) if you are on Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit. Check their website.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 07:53:55 am »
Yes I'm affraid it is only Wales, it has been running for about a year now. One of my bitches is going Thursday and the other next month. Does spaying change their character?
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 09:36:49 am »
I had a bitch done years ago and never found a change in her character although I think they say that they tend to lay down a bit of fat. Much like women in the menopause I guess.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 10:00:53 am »
In my experience, neutering does not change a thing. A dog driven to work will work regardless of whether it has testicles or not. A bitch can have behaviour changes when due in season.
Neutering reduces the risks of prostate and ovarian tumours, infections and cysts, and mammary tumours in bitches.
An overweight dog is an overfed dog. Adjust there feed accordingly, yes they need less feed but we can control how much they eat to keep them slim  :thumbsup:
Unless you are seriously considering breeding then please neuter.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 06:06:58 pm »
My Goldie who I am not going to breed from had her bits removed today. She is feeling a bit sorry for herself at moment, but that's not helped by the fact that she has got to have a buster collar on as she won't leave her operation site alone. Hopefully she will be feeling a bit better tomorrow. :fc:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:18:03 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 06:10:47 pm »
In my experience, neutering does not change a thing. A dog driven to work will work regardless of whether it has testicles or not. A bitch can have behaviour changes when due in season.
Neutering reduces the risks of prostate and ovarian tumours, infections and cysts, and mammary tumours in bitches.
An overweight dog is an overfed dog. Adjust there feed accordingly, yes they need less feed but we can control how much they eat to keep them slim  :thumbsup:
Unless you are seriously considering breeding then please neuter.
Hear hear, and I would add to that unless you intend to have all the necessary health checks done, don't breed!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS