Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dangerous dogs  (Read 5220 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Dangerous dogs
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

Re: Dangerous dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 03:07:02 pm »
and not before time this should have been carried out many years ago :thumbsup:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:56:13 pm »
If this legislation was in order years ago there would not have been so many kids, adults and other animals attacked and killed with these bloody dogs.

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 01:23:21 pm »
Have read this with interest after hearing on the radio, only this morning, of another case in Swindon (I think with a Staffy?)

When you have dogs, however well bread/trained/behaved or fantastic the relationship - they are; at the end of the day wolves in our homes.  I do completely agree that its about time people were made to be reponsible for their actions. Common sense should be common place, unfortunately its not the case.

That said there has to be a balance; tarring all dogs with the same brush is just as damaging.  We had a horrible experience recently when our two beautiful GSD's were accused of taking out 6 sheep without foundation, proof or fact, just because they are GSD's. Luckily it all turned out well because we stood our ground and substantiated with fact; it could have been so very different if we'd been forced to have them destroyed on heresay and opinion.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:46:08 pm »
I saw that article yesterday about the supposed Staffies, but they looked like APBT crosses to me.

I have been so upset I haven't been able to talk/write about a personal incident till now. About 6/7 weeks ago I allowed my friends to have Bobby, my young dog, after them having asked a few times for him.  He had possession issues with dummies but they were taking him to a trainer and he was much better.  He was a family pet and was going to be worked to the gun next season following his training. 

Unfortunately two consecutive things caused me to take him back.  They gave him a fresh bone one morning, and the same day they allowed their young daughter to jump down to him in the evening to give him a goodnight hug without warning him first.  They just didn't think - he was her playmate all the time and they loved each other to bits.  He lunged at her and scratched and snapped at her, presumably instinctively guarding/possessing his bone.  Probably not even realising it was Abigail.  I took the decision to have him put down, and my vet agreed with me so I held him in my arms while he died. It broke my heart as he was not a bad tempered dog, he used to play happily with my grandchildren - submitting to them readily and willingly, but although he had his toys around the garden he was never given a real bone.  But after he had made that one mistake I could no longer trust him.  As a result I don't think I'll be breeding again. I couldn't take the heartbreak of anything similar happening to any more of my babies.

The moral?  Never, ever, ever, let a child go near a dog with a bone.  I never have.  It never occurred to me to tell my friends the same as I thought they would know that simple rule.

I am fed up with things at the moment.  First my lovely gentle Bobby, now my lovely friendly ducks. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 01:53:15 pm »
Im so sorry Doganjo :-((((((((((((( nothing else I can say, but I really am :-(((((( :bouquet:

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 01:59:27 pm »
Doganjo, there are no words, so hopeing that by sending you heartfelt e-cake, e-tea and the biggest e-hug.  It might make you smile  ;D Have broad shoulders and a good listening ear if you need to chat?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 02:00:59 pm »
Annie,
That is just so sad.  :bouquet:
It was a tough decision you made but I think it was the correct one. You would never have felt that you could truly trust him again.
You have certainly been going through a hard time lately. Perhaps some new ducks will give you something else to concentrate on for a bit.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 02:32:54 pm »
Oh Annie, what a horrible time you're having at the moment and what a dreadful decision to have to make {{{{hugs}}}}

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:31:30 pm »
Having a healthy dog destroyed to protect innocent children from any possible future snap - Annie, I have done it too, it was the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life.   {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}   And mine wasn't a home-bred dog, but a rescue (and damn you, RSPCA, for not having detected before rehoming that this dog had issues with certain children.)  So I haven't said, "I know how you feel", because I don't - it must be far far harder and far far more saddening to make and enact that decision with a dog you have bred yourself.

Massive credit to you, Annie, for having the strength and moral courage to make that decision and see it through.  :trophy: :bouquet: :bouquet:

Give yourself time - a LOT of time - before saying you'll never breed again.  I was dogless for many many months after I held my dog as he sank into a permanent sleep at the vets, but eventually I was ready for a canine companion again.  (And yes I got another rescue and yes it was an RSPCA one - but not the same RSPCA one.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:39:01 pm »
((( big hugs )))    It is a very hard decision to make, you are very brave  :bouquet:

I made the decision with my 3 yr old boy less than a year ago due to an incident with a stranger. And decided I was totally incompetent at rearing a puppy. Many people convinced me to try again including the breeder. I now think there is a line separating safe and dangerous. If the dog chooses to cross that line then it becomes my responsibility to take action and euthanise however hard it is..... Now I have Obi  :love:

You are a very good breeder of type which there are few. Your top priority is the health and welfare of your dogs.   There was no other choice to make with your boy, you know that. Grief takes time.
Give yourself time. We need breeders like you.. Take care. Pm for chat if you need..  :bouquet:

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 11:51:50 am »
I am so sorry.  What a horrible and tough decision to make.

Helen

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 12:05:33 pm »
So sorry this has happened but the right thing to do,   :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS