Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Woodlice eating my strawb's  (Read 3292 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Woodlice eating my strawb's
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:48:58 pm »
There is only one thing I have a real phobia about in life - woodlice. I went to pick some big red strawberries today only to find that dozens of the things have hollowed them out (and were still in one - eek!)
what can I use that isn't harmful to the children if they pick them to eat from the garden please?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

deepinthewoods

Re: Woodlice eating my strawb's
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:59:53 pm »
shotgun ;) .
maybe loads of straw? dunno, tricky this.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 05:32:32 pm »
It is, isn't it? I thought of straw as by now I should have put some down but we've just got back from holiday so I'm up to my neck in sandy washing  ::)  and its been raining! I think they'd laugh in the face of straw though wouldn't they? horrid wee beasties  >:(

Love the shotgun idea, only way I could get within 5 metres of them. Neighbours must have thought I was being mugged when they heard the screams after I picked a berry full of wood lice earlier. Making me shudder even now.

Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 05:38:01 pm »
ive just got yet another lawrence d hills book, ill peruse....

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 05:41:59 pm »
nothing specific in my books, but, he does recommend a dressing of woodash, carefully id reckon.
 that ought to put the buggers off.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:01:14 pm »
Thank you DITW - I will dig some out and keep everything crossed. Its the first year I've tried really hard to get some nice strawberries - was going to make jam and everything  :fc:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:00:42 pm »
Well that solves that problem - 2 of my ewe's let themselves out of the field and ate the entire strawberry patch  ::)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 03:03:57 pm »
 ;D :innocent:
Sorry for your loss...

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 03:15:24 pm »
 :bouquet: oh no, that is bad luck

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 07:22:28 pm »
ouch.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 07:23:33 pm »
They even had red lips so trying to act all innocent and blame the chickens was not going to wash with me. Little toads  ::)  wonder how many woodlice they ate same time?  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS