Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: privacy petition please sign!  (Read 6426 times)

deepinthewoods

Re: privacy petition please sign!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 11:47:28 am »
i too would want such people nailed. however, if you have any kind of brain on your neck then its obvious that to plan and succeed in such an attack, thelast thing youd do is use the internet or mobile phones to communicate. there was no internet in the times of the troubles and hardly any mobiles.

as an example.  greece has had its health service drastically cut. imagine if next year the government here did the same and you wished to set up and organize a protest group. if this law goes through then your ability to organize and comunicate securely will be removed.  any dissent will be monitored and probably removed. this law is an attack on free speech. the law isnt temporary, weve managed fine without it uptill now.
monitoring your private emails and phone calls will not stop child abusers or terrorists. it will ust make them go further underground and harder to catch.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 02:57:49 pm »
the relentless movement towards the Orwellian dawn! i mean you don't know you are on a leash if you sit next to the peg all the time do you? 
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 03:01:44 pm »
Remembering back to my story in the members section about a local fruitloop making threats about me on FB - the police couldnt' access his account because of his privacy settings (they said!) so in a way - great. However, once my front door is shut I like to feel a sense of security and privacy in my own home. If they want to read through my emails all they will see is a reem of orders for soap, some dodgy jokes and the occasional holiday photo! Their waste of time  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Simple Simon

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 03:38:47 pm »
No-one is actually going to read your soapy emails.  But you can be sure that there's a very bored robot somewhere looking for keywords and patterns. 

I don't like the idea of the loss of privacy either.  From my window I can see a camera that reads number plates on every car that uses the road.  That data are put together with that from thousands of other such cameras plus all the CCTV in shops, offices and public transport.  It doesn't make me feel good.  But neither did travelling on the same railway line on the same day as the 7/7 bombers.

The problem is balancing laws which protect my rights with those of the bad guys.   A friend is a consultant to the police and helps retrieve data from computers that people think they've deleted.  Is that infringing their rights.  Too bloody right it is but he needed personal counselling when he'd recovered thousands of images.

The technology is out there so it has to be dealt with.  But we do all lose from it.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 03:55:51 pm »
.they snoop already  :innocent:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 05:00:31 pm »
all fair points.
however would you feel the same if they said that from now on every piece of physical mail you send will be copied and stored, just in case you ever commit a crime, and just in case that they may identify and catch a nonce or terrorist?
because this is the same.

Simple Simon

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 08:22:02 pm »
To my regret I very rarely send things by post any longer so it's an academic question.  And I had every email stored and most of my work telephone calls recorded for years.  Mind you when a temp shredded the entire department's personnel files there turned out to be no copies.

And the City of London led the way with ANPR after the Bishopsgate bomb.  It's been said that the UK has more CCTV cameras per head of population than any other country.  So the snooping has a long and inglorious history

Like I said I don't like it but most is in place and operating already.  What's the alternative given the UKs position up the terrorist list of choice (Thanks Mr Blair)?  Had so many people not been fired over the past 30 years surveillance might be less of a issue - cameras watch the staff and the customers of course.

I might add that I was warned about voicemail hacking well over a decade ago. 

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 09:38:34 pm »
Anyone ever seen Minority Report? It's only a matter of time....

Anyway, regardless of the intention behind it, the Government (and other bodies) have proven their incompetency in handling computers and/or data, and there is also "function creep" where suddenly those ANPR anti-terrorist cameras are really handy for congestion charges...

deepinthewoods

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 09:59:32 pm »
bang on. every road a toll road. those anpr cameras are everywhere.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 10:23:41 pm »
I think YL's point that they can't keep data safe if an important one.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:48 pm »
It aint just the government that can't keep data safe.  One mega firm after another seems to find its data leaking out.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS