Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: on-line source for greenhouse glass?  (Read 5696 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
on-line source for greenhouse glass?
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:45:52 pm »
Does anyone have a good and cheap source for greenhouse glass - the unbreakable kind? We will need a lot of large sheets we can cut to size ourselves and some of the triangles need to be pre-cut. I will need it delivered, so B&Q is no good to me, still having my leg in plaster... :&>

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: on-line source for greenhouse glass?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 05:16:15 pm »
Do you mean glass or one of the unbreakable sheets like acrylic or plexiglass.

Might be worth looking at these sites

this one for standard size pieces
http://www.greenhousewarehouse.com/categorylist/greenhouse-glazing/
these people will cut to size for you
http://www.acrylic-online.co.uk/

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:33:02 pm »
I would say that the best prices will be for twinwall (or multiwall) polycarbonate (used for conservatory 'roofs'), though you can't see through it very well. much cheaper than glass, tough and insulates better too.

If you google twinwall/polycarbonate, etc you should find suppliers who will cut it to size for you so you don't have to buy a whole sheet.

I've replaced some of my windows with it.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »
Polycarbonate is certainly best for your application. Acrylics are cheaper and optically better but will be prone to clouding and fracture when cold. They are really only secondary glazing options, not for external applications.

There are plenty of suppliers on line. By co-incidence one has just emailed me. I have used DIY Plastics before for secondary glazing, www.diyplas.co.uk, but they do a range of exterior and building plastics as well. I need to order some plastic to make an enclosure for a Suro Incubator anyway.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:47:33 pm by chrismahon »

TasChris

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:20:20 am »
If you're looking for multiwall polycarbonate you might want to go with a company I used recently. I went for 32mil but they do a variety of thicknesses.

http://www.macrolux.co.uk/products/multiwall/

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 04:37:54 pm »
Thanks, TC - this time he fixed all panes with regular glass but I have a feeling there might be another storm coming one day your info will be very useful!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS