Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 10 day old chick with bulge  (Read 5714 times)

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
10 day old chick with bulge
« on: April 25, 2009, 12:54:09 pm »
Our 10 day old chick Daisy doesn't seem so good today.  She has a bulge on one side of what would be her throat.  Is this her crop?  It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all but should we do something?  I think she may have been eating some of the full sized hens food rather than her chick crumbs.  Would that do this?  Please advise if there is anything I should do.

Thanks
Gillian

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: 10 day old chick with bulge
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:34:22 pm »
get her to eat some chick grit. I hope she will be ok but its not likely. i feed crumb untill 6 weeks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 04:45:55 pm »
Are the adults and chicks together already then?  or did she get it through a fence.  I keep chicks on crumb to 8 weeks.  It doesn't sound good I must admit.  Is she drinking?  Or just sitting hunched up?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 06:12:23 pm »
Are the adults and chicks together already then?  or did she get it through a fence.  I keep chicks on crumb to 8 weeks.  It doesn't sound good I must admit.  Is she drinking?  Or just sitting hunched up?

Hi Annie,

She is the chick that hatched from Rosemary's Cream Coloured Legbar egg under our broody hen so we have been putting some food in for the Mum and I think she has had some of it as well. (We gave mum a little left over spaghetti this morning).  She has her own chick crumb in as well.  She seems absolutely fine still drinking and eating but just has this lump off to one side of her crop? 
Thanks
Gillian

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 08:51:21 am »
I am not sure what the lump is, obviously you are keeping an eye out for any distress or problems.

As a side issue i put my mothers with chicks in a separate area from the rest of the flock, Mums and babes are fed chick crumbs, i dont put in anything else...well, water of course. That way the chicks don't get a hold of anything they shouldn't. The hen wont be laying so its safe to give her chick crumbs (which are not to be fed to laying birds, or rather their eggs should not be eaten) i feed my hens the Farmgate range...they wont eat Allan and Page etc.
The rules for feeding may be different for other ranges of feedstuffs.

HTH Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 12:06:18 pm »
Emma, why wouldn't you eat eggs from hens fed chick crumbs?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 12:12:05 pm »
i think some have drugs in them.

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 12:18:51 pm »
We locked her up in the broody coup with her 'mum' last night and this morning her bulge had gone but now at noon the bulge is back with her only eating chick crumb.  ???

I am hoping this is just a thing she will have while she is so little and it will pass as she grows.  If anyone else has had any experience of this or any other suggestions they can let me know.

Thanks
Gillian

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 01:00:06 pm »
could be she just eats lots.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 05:25:29 pm »
Hi rosemary, the standard brand chick crumbs have anticoccidial drugs in them. These are not so good to eat.

i dont know whether Allan and Page's does too, or other organic brands...may be stat that all chick crumbs must have these drugs. If they are included then it should be stated on packaging not to be fed to laying hens or something of that ilk
Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 05:29:21 pm »
Paul may have the answer - she may just eat a lot at once and it's staying in her crop longer, thus causing a bulge.  How big is this bulge in comparison to the rest of her?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 07:55:18 pm »
Hi rosemary, the standard brand chick crumbs have anticoccidial drugs in them. These are not so good to eat.

i dont know whether Allan and Page's does too, or other organic brands...may be stat that all chick crumbs must have these drugs. If they are included then it should be stated on packaging not to be fed to laying hens or something of that ilk
Emma x

some poutry rearer had it in it was ment for our turkeys so it went in the bin. there is a restriction on eating the bird for a few weeks after feeding them with treated feed. So i guess it would effect the eggs to.

gillandtom

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 06:02:05 pm »
Paul may have the answer - she may just eat a lot at once and it's staying in her crop longer, thus causing a bulge.  How big is this bulge in comparison to the rest of her?

I hope thats all it is.  Same thing happened today - fine in the morning then bulging around noon.  Annie it is about the size of a walnut in its shell which is pretty big since she is so tiny.  Still seems fine tho so not going to worry about it now unless it bothers her. 

Thanks for all your help.  x x G

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 09:25:06 pm »
Ah, thought so. We buy organic crumbs that are coccidiostat free.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 10:25:58 pm »
you can get standard ones that are free from drugs. Are you full organic if so how long did it take.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS