Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free hay  (Read 4828 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Free hay
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:43:41 pm »
What a result - after a wet spring and a recent warm bout the local council have cut the very high grass and wild flowers on the narrow lanes. Today my daughter and I worked both sides of our narrow lane turning the hay with pitch forks. Tomorrow she plans to lay string inside an empty cardboard box - pack it with hay (using a board of the same SA as the box) and then bind up the hay bale. Her "test attempt" worked very well and she is hoping to get 10 boxes of really great hay for the rabbits. We luv getting things for free !!!

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

deepinthewoods

Re: Free hay
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:58:29 pm »
well played mak. :thumbsup:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:45:25 pm »
Not just me doing it then  ;D ;D ;D
I use a tea chest to make bunny bales :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:20:58 am »
given the price in pet shops of bunny bales, thats a very good idea! :thumbsup:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:37:44 pm »
A Tea chest would have been much better as the cardboard box needed running repairs. We made 10 bunny bales in 31 degrees whilst our neighbour and his imported helpers watched as they tried to work out how to repair their hay baler. We had finished ours and were sat in the shade by the time a replacement baler arrived.

The hay includes so many mixed grass seeds and wild flowers ( no buttercups) so I hope that their is nothing in it to upset the rabbits.

Do they still make T chests ? You could pattern the idea or sell "bunny balers" on the net. :thumbsup:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 06:49:47 pm »
I've often thought that, thinking of the predicted future food shortages, we should be making use of all the good grass etc that's growing along the verges. Of course, pollution might be a problem; but with fuel getting shorter in supply, and sooner or later people having to use less of it, that problem will diminish, too. After all, that's what smallholders in ages past did: they took their house cow, goat or sheep grazing... My father used to tell me those stories; his granny had a ewe, and it was one of his regular chores to take her out grazing. He was the envy of the neighbourhood kids - because they mostly had goats to look after - and as you all know, goats have more of a mind of their own!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:15:46 pm »
A Tea chest would have been much better as the cardboard box needed running repairs. We made 10 bunny bales in 31 degrees whilst our neighbour and his imported helpers watched as they tried to work out how to repair their hay baler. We had finished ours and were sat in the shade by the time a replacement baler arrived.

The hay includes so many mixed grass seeds and wild flowers ( no buttercups) so I hope that their is nothing in it to upset the rabbits.

Do they still make T chests ? You could pattern the idea or sell "bunny balers" on the net. :thumbsup:

If you give them hay ad lib, you needn't worry if there is a bit of sommat nasty in there as they will leave it ;)
Got me thinking now of a ply hand baler with slots for the twine....
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »
I'm another one who loves food for free.  I was eying up the long grass and weeds behind our houses in the garage area.  No nasties in the immediate vacinity so if I can get someone to help, I'll be taking the goats out there.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 05:04:52 pm »
I would love to close the A470 and put my sheep on it. What are the chances? :sheep:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 09:10:17 pm »
I would love to close the A470 and put my sheep on it. What are the chances? :sheep:

Probably not a lot.  On the other hand, if you put your sheep on the A470, you would probably close it.   ;D

Do they eat tarmac?

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 08:31:27 am »

Do they eat tarmac?

Goats might - sheep tend to be less adventurous in my experience... I think it helps if you train your goats to be tethered; it would only have to be for an hour or so per day, to make use of nicely overgrown corners - no, not along major roads, of course...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS