Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig and Poultry Fencing  (Read 1897 times)

knight_family

• Joined Apr 2012
  • south Littleton
Pig and Poultry Fencing
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:59:21 pm »
Hi all,
I have a question if anyone can help, I'm looking to get to pigs and have an area for the pigs and an area for my chickens however I want the chickens to have both area's. Currently the chicken area is surrounded by electric poultry fencing, but reading other posts I dont think using this fencing would good.
So I'm looking at doing stock fencing so the questions are:
Is this any good for Pigs http://www.tornadowire.co.uk/fencing-applications/poultry-fencing
If not what can I use for Pigs and Poultry?
for information my plan is to do3 lines of electric tape for the pigs so its just a security measure.
Many thanks in Advance..... (also posted in Poultry section)
Graham 

princesspiggy

Re: Pig and Poultry Fencing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 04:12:20 am »
that would work. we have chooks one side of the fence to pigs, and as the stock fencing was up first, we just added chicken wire over the top to keep the chooks in. expensive that way but we got cheap chook wire from auction. we also have a pop-hole in the fence so we can let chooks thru to larger paddock if we wish.

;D ;D

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:16:57 pm »
Hi all,
I have a question if anyone can help, I'm looking to get to pigs and have an area for the pigs and an area for my chickens however I want the chickens to have both area's. Currently the chicken area is surrounded by electric poultry fencing, but reading other posts I dont think using this fencing would good.
So I'm looking at doing stock fencing so the questions are:
Is this any good for Pigs http://www.tornadowire.co.uk/fencing-applications/poultry-fencing
If not what can I use for Pigs and Poultry?
for information my plan is to do3 lines of electric tape for the pigs so its just a security measure.
Many thanks in Advance..... (also posted in Poultry section)
Graham
why not hang an electric fence at say 8 - 10 inches off the ground on the other side of this fence. I would not tear  down your chicken fence, at least it keeps them in and the electric will keep the pigs out.  The last thing  you want is the chickens int he pig yards while they pigs are in there.  The large sows will eat the chickens.  I can tell you from my experience....... Once the  yard is empty by all mans add the chickens to eat up all the waste  that the pigs have left behind.   disease is also an issue by running the two together. :farmer:

knight_family

• Joined Apr 2012
  • south Littleton
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:15:33 pm »
Thanks Jellybean,

I'll only be looking at weeners to fattener for now (not enough land for sow's :( ) So I know there is a risk of the pigs catching them but we may well keep them out for the 4 months we have them there.

The reason for moving my fencing is its all Poultry electtric fencing so I'll need to move it any way, plus I need more space for the pigs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS